Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Can Boot On Apple's M1 Pro But More Work Remains

Phoronix: Linux Can Boot On Apple's M1 Pro But More Work Remains

Last month Apple announced the M1 Pro and M1 Max SoCs while already the very latest Linux patches originally written for the Apple M1 that launched last year paired with some small changes is allowing the open-source platform to boot on the M1 Pro MacBook...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just use MacOS, geez!

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
      Just use MacOS, geez!
      I'll never understand people like you.
      Probably why you don't understand this.

Comment

Just use MacOS, geez!
        Cringe.

I chuckle at my coworkers trying to get anything done while Docker struggles to run on their macs. Such an inferior system.

/me goes to play some games on Steam/Proton.

Comment

Just use MacOS, geez!
          I tried. I lasted two weeks on their pretty but clunky-to-use UI. I ended up getting central-IT to swap it out for a Win7 box, F-FSM's-S!

Comment

People (Michael) keep harping on the GPU as being a "great elephant in the room" and "a great unsolved problem" and on and on and on.

The M1 openGL driver already passes 75% of the OpenGL ES 2.0 conformance tests. Likewise, much of OpenGL 2.1 has been implemented. Applications like glxgears run on the open-source M1 GPU driver.

And all of that is from May 2nd.

The M1 GPU driver is already quite far along. It's tested on MacOS' kernel, yes, but it's in the userspace part of the driver where all the real work happens.
            Last edited by Developer12; 03 November 2021, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Viki Ai View Post

I tried. I lasted two weeks on their pretty but clunky-to-use UI. I ended up getting central-IT to swap it out for a Win7 box, F-FSM's-S!
              Given the passions surrounding this topic, admitting this might be considered suicide but ...

I love everything Linux. I use Slackware on my production servers. Almost every year I build a Linux From Scratch system by hand, play with Odroids when I get time, et cetera.

However, I have used a MacBook Pro for the last 5 years as my daily driver for one very simple reason - productivity. I do not have to tinker with much - open lid (I shutdown the machine like once every two months ), login, ssh to remote boxes, type documents, read emails, use browser, VLC once in a while.

MacOS - It works - no need to worry about wayland, or what window did not do what, bootloader issues, power management stuff, package dependencies - some of the main plagues on Linux systems and the myriad of incomplete DE implementations. When I make time to game, I fire up the Xbox or PS4 - no need to curse out Nvidia or AMD for poor drivers.

That said, if I can get Slackware (with XFCE) running on my MBP, then all would be well with the world!

Thumbs up and beers all round to all the devs working on getting Linux up and running on great hardware (I admit this grudgingly - Apple has done good work on their hardware)

Comment

Originally posted by xhustler View Post

Given the passions surrounding this topic, admitting this might be considered suicide but ...

I love everything Linux. I use Slackware on my production servers. Almost every year I build a Linux From Scratch system by hand, play with Odroids when I get time, et cetera.

However, I have used a MacBook Pro for the last 5 years as my daily driver for one very simple reason - productivity. I do not have to tinker with much - open lid (I shutdown the machine like once every two months ), login, ssh to remote boxes, type documents, read emails, use browser, VLC once in a while.

MacOS - It works - no need to worry about wayland, or what window did not do what, bootloader issues, power management stuff, package dependencies - some of the main plagues on Linux systems and the myriad of incomplete DE implementations. When I make time to game, I fire up the Xbox or PS4 - no need to curse out Nvidia or AMD for poor drivers.

That said, if I can get Slackware (with XFCE) running on my MBP, then all would be well with the world!

Thumbs up and beers all round to all the devs working on getting Linux up and running on great hardware (I admit this grudgingly - Apple has done good work on their hardware)
                If you think every Linux desktop user has to go through all of those issues... It seems like you haven't actually used Linux on a desktop in ten years. And it has come a long way. You should give it a shot.

Comment

Just use MacOS, geez!
                  And lose your freedom this way? No thank you.

Comment

Just use MacOS, geez!
                    some years ago I bought a macbook mostly because the harware was fine and I want it to run linux only.
                    I tried to use macos for a while before wiping it: it was a total nightmare! (then I came back to buy Lenovo laptop again)

Comment

Working...
                    X