Coreboot 4.15 Released With New System76 Laptops, More ASUS Motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot 4.15 Released With New System76 Laptops, More ASUS Motherboards

Phoronix: Coreboot 4.15 Released With New System76 Laptops, More ASUS Motherboards

Coreboot 4.15 was tagged today as the latest advertised version of this open-source firmware implementation for systems. With this new version are 21 additional laptops and motherboards supported...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I actually have a P8Z77-V board! Now, what can one do with this?

Comment

I saw on the list that a new Lenovo workstation-class thinkpad had been added. I'm a little disappointed that it's Haswell generation (no native blob-free ram init) but I'd be very interested to know if it supports ECC.

On the subject of Haswell ram init though, It seem like there was a past attempt at it [1]. One would think that with the arguments on the Coreboot mailing list over blobs the last couple of day, they might afford a modicum of focus to finishing that support if they can.

[1] https://code.georgi.software/coreboo...b9c431615e2039

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
        I saw on the list that a new Lenovo workstation-class thinkpad had been added. I'm a little disappointed that it's Haswell generation (no native blob-free ram init) but I'd be very interested to know if it supports ECC.

On the subject of Haswell ram init though, It seem like there was a past attempt at it [1]. One would think that with the arguments on the Coreboot mailing list over blobs the last couple of day, they might afford a modicum of focus to finishing that support if they can.

[1] https://code.georgi.software/coreboo...b9c431615e2039
        I don't think any of the available processors for that model support ECC.

Intel Core i7-4710MQ Processor Intel Core i7-4810MQ Processor
        Intel Core i7-4910MQ Processor
        Intel Core i7-4940MX Processor Extreme Edition

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

I don't think any of the available processors for that model support ECC.

Intel Core i7-4710MQ Processor Intel Core i7-4810MQ Processor
          Intel Core i7-4910MQ Processor
          Intel Core i7-4940MX Processor Extreme Edition

Is it socketed? Rarely if ever will an intel consumer CPU support ECC, but it's probably possible to drop in a xeon from the same generation.

Of course, it's still a question of whether the eight (or so) little wires for ECC are hooked up between the CPU socket and the ram DIMMs (you'd have to track down the motherboard schematic from china and check). I also don't know if the MRC.bin used by coreboot on Haswell can support ECC.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
            they might afford a modicum of focus to finishing that support if they can.
            Patches welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by pgeorgi View Post
              Patches welcome.
              Incidentally, I sent an email yesterday asking what happened to some of the previous work I dug up. I don't have much hope of being able to undertake it (I know jack squat about DDR4 PHYs, even after my time verifying them) but the first step is to know what you're working with.

Comment

Originally posted by vw_fan17 View Post
                I actually have a P8Z77-V board! Now, what can one do with this?
                You can flash it with coreboot and continue to use if. I suppose in certain situations you won't have to wear the aluminium foil hat, which is awesome. That aluminium was really uncomfortable while sleeping.

Comment

Originally posted by lacek View Post

You can flash it with coreboot and continue to use if. I suppose in certain situations you won't have to wear the aluminium foil hat, which is awesome. That aluminium was really uncomfortable while sleeping.
                  That's kind of what I figured.. I don't use it much now, it's a "play around" machine. Would it have better overclocking stability? Could never get the board to overclock my 3570k reliably..

Comment

Originally posted by vw_fan17 View Post
                    That's kind of what I figured.. I don't use it much now, it's a "play around" machine. Would it have better overclocking stability? Could never get the board to overclock my 3570k reliably..
                    This is of course possible in general, but it is not the focus of the coreboot community. Better power management, faster boot, "lightweightness", fixing bios bugs (which there are plenty), and disabling IME and AMD's equivalent are the thing coreboot people emphasize.
                    Sometimes bios at certain version drops support for some hardware - this can be in principle remedied, better support for virtualization (like IOMMUs) etc.
                    Last edited by lacek; 11 November 2021, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X