DXVK-NVAPI 0.5 Released With NVIDIA DLSS 2.x Bits, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXVK-NVAPI 0.5 Released With NVIDIA DLSS 2.x Bits, Other Improvements

Phoronix: DXVK-NVAPI 0.5 Released With NVIDIA DLSS 2.x Bits, Other Improvements

DXVK-NVAPI as the project providing NVIDIA driver API integration "NVAPI" around DXVK/VKD3D-Proton is out with a new feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Once I get my hands on an Intel Arc DG2 I won't use NVIDIA again until they open source their drivers. I just hope it doesn't take long for AMD or Intel to outperform NVIDIA in the future

Comment

Originally posted by loligans View Post
      Once I get my hands on an Intel Arc DG2 I won't use NVIDIA again until they open source their drivers. I just hope it doesn't take long for AMD or Intel to outperform NVIDIA in the future
      Probably same. Intel is the only company that makes a card which can encode in 4:4:4 AND is open-source-friendly at the same time.
      NVIDIA does the former but not the latter.
      AMD does the latter but not the former (oh and their hardware encoder is terrible, particularly H.264)

Comment

Comment

Why was there no NVAPI for Linux officially by Nvidia? Was there any limitation? Is it a legacy technology or something?

Comment

I'm assuming this isn't any different from building from the current master? There hasn't actually been a commit to dxvk-nvapi in 4 weeks

EDIT: I talked to the dev. I was right.
            Last edited by gardotd426; 13 November 2021, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              AMD does the latter but not the former (oh and their hardware encoder is terrible, particularly H.264)
              Even on new(er) AMD cards?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                Even on new(er) AMD cards?
                The hardware encoder on newer cards probably has barely changed at all. Maybe there were some very minor improvements and just increased encoding speed, but otherwise.... not much to say. I remember ranting on VCN 3.0 because it had nothing new on the encoder side.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Probably same. Intel is the only company that makes a card which can encode in 4:4:4 AND is open-source-friendly at the same time.
                  NVIDIA does the former but not the latter.
                  So, curiosity just got to me and therefore I have to ask, since you have been mentioning this for quite some time now:

Why on earth do you need to encode your videos in YUV444?

Pretty much all the videos I watch are encoded as yuv420p, and with the right mpv.conf, they still look really watchable on my HDTV.
                  (And yes, that absolutely includes MPEG-1 240p videos encoded in the '90s!)

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post
                    Meanwhile, did birdie malfunction yet again?

Comment

Working...
                    X