NVIDIA Looks To Improve Power Management For Linux VFIO PCIe Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Looks To Improve Power Management For Linux VFIO PCIe Devices

Phoronix: NVIDIA Looks To Improve Power Management For Linux VFIO PCIe Devices

NVIDIA is looking to enable run-time power management for the VFIO PCI Linux driver to allow for better power-savings...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very nice!
    On AMD side do you still have 2 GPUs to be able to enable VFIO passthrough ?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Very nice!
      Unless you have a high end nvidia gpu, you still need two gpus for passthrough. Nvidia locks consumer cards out of vgpu's arbitrarily. I've seen projects that change the card reported and their software happily provides vgpus. libvf.io is doing excellent work on providing solutions in the case of one GPU. Intel no longer supports passthrough on 10th gen+ igpus and has killed gvt-g. Intel says SR-IOV is the future, but has not provided working code.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Very nice!
        No, you don't need two GPUS unless you want to also use your host at the same time, which for some people maybe necessary, but for most people doing VFIO gaming it's not needed. but VFIO works on all GPU's if needing GUI host at the same time is not needed (you can still SSH into host and whatnot)

Comment

More of a side note, but I found an RS232 connection (my mobo had a port, though 2x USB -> RS232 is fine too) to be my best friend when doing a GPU passthrough . You'll rarely need it, but when you do need it, you're super glad it's there.

Comment

Working...
          X