Picolibc 1.7.4 Brings Improved Meson Support, Restructured Math Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picolibc 1.7.4 Brings Improved Meson Support, Restructured Math Code

Phoronix: Picolibc 1.7.4 Brings Improved Meson Support, Restructured Math Code

Picolibc as the open-source C library optimized for small embedded systems with limited RAM capacities is out with a new update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I didn't see MIPS listed in the architectures but also didn't go to the projects page so maybe it is supported but that would be a great target for routers since most home routers in the last couple of decades if I recall use MIPS. Does the library support other kernels like maybe the NetBSD kernel, would be cool if you take a kernel as lite as that and bundle it with a micro C library like this.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      I didn't see MIPS listed in the architectures but also didn't go to the projects page so maybe it is supported but that would be a great target for routers since most home routers in the last couple of decades if I recall use MIPS. Does the library support other kernels like maybe the NetBSD kernel, would be cool if you take a kernel as lite as that and bundle it with a micro C library like this.
      As far as I know, this library is nice to do baremetal programming
      And I confess that I do start to want to test it, even thought documentation could be not yet in greatest shape..

I hope they include mcu targets for most of the supported mcus..

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
        but that would be a great target for routers since most home routers in the last couple of decades if I recall use MIPS.
        Most are ARM, not MIPS. If this was the previous decade before that when speeds were well below 100 Mbps and 11g was the norm that was MIPS.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
          Most are ARM, not MIPS. If this was the previous decade before that when speeds were well below 100 Mbps and 11g was the norm that was MIPS.
          Majority is still MIPs , the biggest part being mips 24k..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
            Majority is still MIPs , the biggest part being mips 24k..
            No idea where you're getting that idea from. As brad0 says, most are ARM, and have been for a long long time now - and that's not "51% vs 49%", it's "99%+ vs <1%".

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
              No idea where you're getting that idea from. As brad0 says, most are ARM, and have been for a long long time now - and that's not "51% vs 49%", it's "99%+ vs <1%".
              Maybe there are companies doing that, like Mikrotik, but there are tons of companies still producing Mips routers out there,
              I am not talking about managed routers, but instead talking about the device you have in your house to provide internet..

And I don't see any problem with them being mips, even tough that mips24k is a bit underpowered for what it is. majority of them run max at 700Mhz, but its a very old architecture,
              They should switch to mips32r5 asap, that is a complete new story, but I still don't see products with in( unless in Russia ).

Comment

Working...
              X