AMDVLK 2021.Q4.2 Released With Dynamic Rendering, Other New Extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDVLK 2021.Q4.2 Released With Dynamic Rendering, Other New Extensions

Phoronix: AMDVLK 2021.Q4.2 Released With Dynamic Rendering, Other New Extensions

It's been over one month since the release of AMDVLK 2021.Q4.1 as the latest open-source AMD Vulkan driver update, which is off the wagon compared to the prior weekly/bi-weekly release cadence. But today thankfully it's been succeeded by AMDVLK 2021.Q4.2 as the newest driver release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A small question: is the figure still up to date? Isn't the default compiler now ACO, at least on those machine that support it? Or am I misunderstanding the role of ACO in this entire picture?

Comment

Originally posted by funforums View Post
      A small question: is the figure still up to date? Isn't the default compiler now ACO, at least on those machine that support it? Or am I misunderstanding the role of ACO in this entire picture?
      AMDVLK is not RADV

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

AMDVLK is not RADV
        Oh - now I see where I had misunderstood this. Thanks! ;-)

Comment

Hi, for Control and Ghostrunner Demo the performance with DX12 is very bad. While i am fully gpu bound with radv, gpu utilization is very low with amd-pro and amdvlk. Control: AMd-Pro and amd-vlk: ...

Seems they don't want to support vkd3d-proton at all, just like raytracing. What a silly behavior this is of a multi billion dollar company to just be totally ignorant about valid use cases they don't deem worthy enough for incomprehensible reasons. It's the old AMD all over and over again, some things won't change...

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/AMDVLK/issues/231
            Seems they don't want to support vkd3d-proton at all, just like raytracing. What a silly behavior this is of a multi billion dollar company to just be totally ignorant about valid use cases they don't deem worthy enough for incomprehensible reasons. It's the old AMD all over and over again, some things won't change...
            I don't want to like that, but I'd like to know AMD's excuse here since Nvidia releases beta drivers damn near the same day that Khronos releases new Vulkan extensions and updates the specs

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I don't want to like that, but I'd like to know AMD's excuse here since Nvidia releases beta drivers damn near the same day that Khronos releases new Vulkan extensions and updates the specs
              Idk. I'm starting to think they realized almost nobody uses this driver on Linux so they just stopped caring about these bugs and features specific to Linux gaming (you probably know Stadia uses AMDVLK, and probably with some other special use cases). On the other hand, lets imagine RADV didn't exist, would this still be their attitude?

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/AMDVLK/issues/231
                Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                I think the extension in question is "VK_VALVE_mutable_descriptor_type" - we are working with Valve on a standardized (VK_EXT...) version to replace the current one.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                  Idk. I'm starting to think they realized almost nobody uses this driver on Linux so they just stopped caring about these bugs and features specific to Linux gaming (you probably know Stadia uses AMDVLK, and probably with some other special use cases). On the other hand, lets imagine RADV didn't exist, would this still be their attitude?
                  If RADV did not exist then I imagine we would have implemented the Valve extension in the short term to provide some support while we work with Khronos and Valve on a standardized replacement.
                  Test signature

Comment

And once that will have happened (after years of missing support), it will reveal all kinds of other issues all at once that could not have been tested/reported before due ot this. It's just bad practice. And then the next thing will happen, e.g. weird issues with XeSS or unsupported features with RDNA3 etc...
                    Last edited by aufkrawall; 10 December 2021, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X