Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubisoft Is Hiring A Linux Developer For An "Unannounced Project" But Don't Get Too Excited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubisoft Is Hiring A Linux Developer For An "Unannounced Project" But Don't Get Too Excited

Phoronix: Ubisoft Is Hiring A Linux Developer For An "Unannounced Project" But Don't Get Too Excited

Ubisoft issued a new job posting for a Linux developer, which has many Linux gamers excited especially as it's mentioned for an "unannounced project." Unfortunately, contrary to all the emailed tips in overnight about the job posting, it ultimately will likely prove to be of little interest to the gaming community...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Look like it's simply infrastructure/tooling things. On the other hand they do mention Vulka[n] and DX12. And "Are experienced with debugging on multiple operating systems, including console and/or linux."
    Last edited by dlq84; 13 December 2021, 07:07 AM.

Comment

I bet it is for their shitty Quartz fail

Comment

if the asio backend isn't a red herring, it's probably for a rocksmith android port or something of the sort.

Comment

I would also bet on server related stuff or maybe android as mentioned by others. Ubi has never showed any interest in Linux and its growing gamer community at all. Furthermore I remember cases where using wine to run an Ubi game resulted in banns. Resolving those obvious "non cheating" cases has been a tough one for the affected gamers.

If there has not been a major shift in their mindset I would not count on any Linux support or equal endeavours in the near future.

Comment

Could be for Stadia.

Comment

This being Ubisoft, I expect they open with porting their DRM to Linux. :_puke_:

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                if the asio backend isn't a red herring, it's probably for a rocksmith android port or something of the sort.
                If they port Rocksmith to Linux I'll rebuy it.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                  If they port Rocksmith to Linux I'll rebuy it.
                  ASIO is windows-specific.

Regardless, the Rocksmith+ Beta concluded poorly with pitch detection and the UI scoring low ( https://theriffrepeater.com/rocksmit...-workshop-tab/ ) so I think they have enough on their plates considering the 2022 due-date...

Btw, check out Impro-Visor if you're into Jazz, play-a-longs and Rocksmith's Session Mode : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weVFBVs0-pw

Comment

If Ubisoft's attitude changed, they would release the desktop Linux build of Assassin's Creed: Origins (or any other Stadia title). Until then it's business as usual, I suspect. Too busy abusing and sexually harassing their own employees, probably. :/

Comment

Working...
                    X