Radeon ROCm 4.5.2 Adds Kernel Driver Installer Support, Various Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon ROCm 4.5.2 Adds Kernel Driver Installer Support, Various Fixes

Phoronix: Radeon ROCm 4.5.2 Adds Kernel Driver Installer Support, Various Fixes

A minor update to AMD's Radeon Open eCosystem "ROCm" software is out today for open-source GPU computing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh great, they finally dropped the special kernel requirement and now just use a DKMS driver!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Oh great, they finally dropped the special kernel requirement and now just use a DKMS driver!
      It was always dkms, and you could always use with upstream kernel amdgpu driver. Never had issues with that part.

The amdkfd from rocm however usually has more features at any given time (i.e. Gpu-gpu data transfers).

Comment

Wake me up when RDNA2 support is added...

Comment

Originally posted by baryluk View Post

It was always dkms, and you could always use with upstream kernel amdgpu driver. Never had issues with that part.

The amdkfd from rocm however usually has more features at any given time (i.e. Gpu-gpu data transfers).
          Really? Back in 2017 it wasn't, and you had to use the distro-specific kernel that came with it.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Really? Back in 2017 it wasn't, and you had to use the distro-specific kernel that came with it.
            At least the last 2.5 years it uses dkms. Not sure about 2018, I didn't try back then.
            The upstream Kernel driver worked fine for me since Kernel 5.9-something, AFAIR.
            Last edited by oleid; 14 December 2021, 02:06 AM.

Comment

when rnda comes out the cards are old garbage

Comment

Working...
              X