Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.17 Will Add Ethernet Support For AMD Yellow Carp (Rembrandt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.17 Will Add Ethernet Support For AMD Yellow Carp (Rembrandt)

Phoronix: Linux 5.17 Will Add Ethernet Support For AMD Yellow Carp (Rembrandt)

AMD's Yellow Carp enablement has been going back to early summer for this next-generation APU that is better known as Rembrandt for the Ryzen 6000 mobile series. While there has already been the graphics support to land, sensor support, and various other functionality, only coming now with the next kernel cycle will be Ethernet support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully AMD xgbe will become standard on socket AM5, unlike with current generation products where that silicon is completely useless except for a total of one (1) embedded product (besides the AMD Wallaby reference board).

Comment

Thank you chithanh, this is exactly what I was wondering about since AMD Systems, Mini-PC as well as AM4 Boards all use Realtek/Intel/Aquantia Ethernet.

Comment

Originally posted by anybody View Post
        Thank you chithanh, this is exactly what I was wondering about since AMD Systems, Mini-PC as well as AM4 Boards all use Realtek/Intel/Aquantia Ethernet.
        If a motherboard has the capability to use several CPUs that don't have Ethernet inside, then we have no chance..
        But for example in laptops were the SoCs are soldered on the board, I don't understand why they don't use AMD integrated Ethernet controller which already come in the SoC, even more now with chip shortages, etc..

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: Linux 5.17 Will Add Ethernet Support For AMD Yellow Carp (Rembrandt)

AMD's Yellow Carp enablement has been going back to early summer for this next-generation APU that is better known as Rembrandt for the Ryzen 6000 mobile series. While there has already been the graphics support to land, sensor support, and various other functionality, only coming now with the next kernel cycle will be Ethernet support...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...MD-YC-Ethernet
          What's the significance of Ethernet support for Rembrandt when practically all design use separate NIC chip ?
          Is there a board that exposes built-in Ethernet unit ?

AFAIK that would expensive in terms of PCI-e lanes. Connection to external PHY would eat couple pairs ( I'm guessing 4).
          Still it would be interesting to see mini-ITX board with a SFP28 cage for 10-25G Ethernet instead of say NVMe or perhaps just PCIex8 instead of PCIex16 for main card...

Comment

Nice!
            Hopefully it will come with WOL capability too.

Comment

The lack Ethernet wouldn't affect much of the laptop users of Rembrandt because, according to some "visionaries" in marketing out there, a RJ45 connector in a "modern" laptop is a sin and a lot of models out there don't come with one anymore, because God forbid something interfere in the looks of a laptop in marketing material...

Comment

(phoronix news item) ...especially with wired network connectivity still rather important to many users...
                New taps and water lines were established to houses, especially with drinking water supply still being rather important to many people...
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  The lack Ethernet wouldn't affect much of the laptop users of Rembrandt because, according to some "visionaries" in marketing out there, a RJ45 connector in a "modern" laptop is a sin and a lot of models out there don't come with one anymore, because God forbid something interfere in the looks of a laptop in marketing material...
                  I just want to know why we are still stuck with RJ45, couldn't someone have made a "mini" ethernet port type by now?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I just want to know why we are still stuck with RJ45, couldn't someone have made a "mini" ethernet port type by now?
                    RJ45 is just too ubiquitous, in buildings and old routers and such. My guess is it will stick around forever and ethernet will (eventually, slowly) transition to fiber with a smaller connector.
                    Last edited by brucethemoose; 21 December 2021, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X