Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darktable 3.8 Released For This Great Open-Source Alternative To Adobe Lightroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darktable 3.8 Released For This Great Open-Source Alternative To Adobe Lightroom

Phoronix: Darktable 3.8 Released For This Great Open-Source Alternative To Adobe Lightroom

Just in time for dealing with any holiday photos, Darktable 3.8 is out today as the latest shiny feature update to this open-source RAW photography post-production software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

updated: https://t2sde.org/packages/darktable

Comment

Great release. Diffuse & Sharpen is is a really nice Christmas gift.

Comment

I just now learned that Darktable exists..! It looks great, can't wait to try it out!

Comment

For those that enjoy the software and want to support it you may want to consider donating to Aurélien Pierre. He contributes to Darktable full-time and relies on donations to do so.

I'm Aurélien, photographer and image processing algorithms designer. I am to digital photography what a luthier is to music : a designer of instruments for artistic …

Comment

CR3 support is huge since Canon cameras have been using it for years. I stopped using Darktable because it didn't support any of my newer cameras. There seem to be a number of other good changes coming as well. I can't wait for the distros to package it so I can try it out. Congrats to the devs for getting it out.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
              CR3 support is huge since Canon cameras have been using it for years. I stopped using Darktable because it didn't support any of my newer cameras. There seem to be a number of other good changes coming as well. I can't wait for the distros to package it so I can try it out. Congrats to the devs for getting it out.
              Might not be sufficient. Lightroom and other commercial products are 10 years ahead open source alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Might not be sufficient. Lightroom and other commercial products are 10 years ahead open source alternatives.
                They were on CR3 support. But other than that where is their 10 year lead. I have tried the all mighty lightroom and find it inferior to Darktable. To put it another way I am a professional photographer and there is nothing I need to do that can not be done using open source software. At this point any issues aren't with the tools, they are with the the artist.

Comment

I didn't knew Darktable existed. Just in time for the purchase of my Sony Nex-5 for botanical photography. I will look at giving Aurelien Pierre some money, i think full time indie open source developers are a fundamental pillar for open source. That open source enormous companies benefit from...

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

They were on CR3 support. But other than that where is their 10 year lead. I have tried the all mighty lightroom and find it inferior to Darktable. To put it another way I am a professional photographer and there is nothing I need to do that can not be done using open source software. At this point any issues aren't with the tools, they are with the the artist.
                    There's U-Point. But that's about patents, not about open vs closed source. I know you can do what U-Point does in Darktable, but with U-Point it's just so much easier.
                    Since Nikon killed of NX2, when I won;t be able to use it, I'll probably go Darktable. I did a comparison of NX2 vs Lightroom once and I got better results in NX2. (Doesn't mean Lightroom sucks, there must be a reason why so many people use it, it means I was better served elsewhere.)

Comment

Working...
                    X