RadeonSI Gallium3D Driver Adds Sparse Texture Support For GFX9/Vega & Newer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Gallium3D Driver Adds Sparse Texture Support For GFX9/Vega & Newer

Phoronix: RadeonSI Gallium3D Driver Adds Sparse Texture Support For GFX9/Vega & Newer

As one of the last major feature changes heading into Mesa Git this calendar year, RadeonSI Gallium3D as the open-source OpenGL driver for modern AMD Radeon GPUs there is now sparse texture support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have Vega56, but which game uses this extension?

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
      I have Vega56, but which game uses this extension?
      Doom (2016) makes use of it. It is intended for virtual texturing (a.k.a. "megatexture"); where you stuff many/all your textures into one large texture, and transform the texture coordinates when loading geometry, or in the vertex shader. Sparse textures are useful when the virtual size of a texture is larger than you want to upload during a single frame, or when the used parts of the texture atlas are an awkward shape (i.e. all across the top of a square atlas).

Of course, in the case of Doom (2016), you'd already be using the equivalent with the Vulkan renderer.
      Last edited by microcode; 30 December 2021, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        Of course, in the case of Doom (2016), you'd already be using the equivalent with the Vulkan renderer.
        Does the Vulkan renderer support this even for Polaris?

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
          Does the Vulkan renderer support this even for Polaris?
          I'm not sure, but I recall someone mentioning that it uses sparse binding; I would assume Polaris supports that but I'm not running any Polaris cards anymore to check.

Comment

Working...
          X