Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 95 vs. Chrome 97 Browser Performance On Linux

Phoronix: Firefox 95 vs. Chrome 97 Browser Performance On Linux

With starting a new year, it's an interesting time to take a fresh look at how the latest Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome web browsers are competing on the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's cool and all, but chrome is super broken on wayland, to the point is unusable on HiDPI displays.

See: https://blogs.igalia.com/adunaev/202...m-for-wayland/
    Last edited by Zeioth; 06 January 2022, 03:38 PM.

Comment

This kind of isn't helpful at all, without some past Firefox benchmarks also to go along with it. Its well established and understood that Google needs to keep Chrome as the fastest browser ever otherwise their spyware empire falls apart. The question is how Firefox fares not just "today", but what progress has it made?

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-89-Firefox-86

Screenshot from 2022-01-06 10-42-44.png
      Screenshot from 2022-01-06 10-45-39.png
      I only grabbed one, but its an example of great progress.
      Last edited by ezst036; 06 January 2022, 03:44 PM.

Comment

The browser situation is sad:

- Google Chrome: fastest browser, but a total privacy threat
        - Safari: macOS-only and feels like the next Internet Explorer
        - Microsoft Edge: just as bad as Chrome regarding privacy
        - Mozilla Firefox: usually slower and the company behind it has lost its manpower and focuses more on human support (read bullsh-) than making good software
        - Chromium: Chrome without Google, but still has Google bits
        - Brave: Chrome without Google, but has a few bugs here and there
        - Falkon/surf/other minor browser: You are on your own (get flagged as spammer at least 2-3 times more, restrict yourself to "clean" websites, etc.)

Comment

I don't know what the shit happened to Mozilla. Firefox is not as performant, numerous features are either missing or broken on linux. (I just realized it does 60hz on any 60+hz monitor). If Mozilla don't get their shit together, they will lose out on their only forte. And there will be no sensible Webkit/Blink alternative.

Comment

AS long as firfox stays around the current pace there is no need to think of chrome The downsides of chrome are far worse than the lack of more performance

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
              I don't know what the shit happened to Mozilla. Firefox is not as performant, numerous features are either missing or broken on linux. (I just realized it does 60hz on any 60+hz monitor). If Mozilla don't get their shit together, they will lose out on their only forte. And there will be no sensible Webkit/Blink alternative.
              Go to about:config, set layout.frame_rate to whatever your highest refresh rate is. Although, setting it to -1 should have it autodetect, and that's the default.

Comment

I've been using Firefox for years now and I haven't noticed any performance problems in actual use (except when trying Firefox on android).

Maybe it is the sites I use, but from what I can tell Firefox with ublock origin works perfectly for all sites on desktop that don't artificially limit Firefox. And I can only think two examples of that (I'm sure there are more): Microsoft Teams and Slack video meetings. Zoom, Discord and Jitsi meetings worked fine in Firefox last I tried though.
                ​​​
                Given what is going on with Manifest v3 over on the Chrome side I don't see Chrome or Chromium as being viable alternatives at all for much longer. Maybe Brave (which I use on Android) or someone else will work around that and keep some chromium based browser relevant for me.

​​​​​I haven't noticed any bugs with Brave on Android (as tildearrow suggested above), but maybe that is just on desktop?

Comment

If you could actually browse properly on Chrome, these would matter. Unfortunately,Chrome is one of the least featured browsers out there.
                  You can have the fastest empty racing car, if it is unfit for common roads (because you freeze to death while driving, do not have windshield wipers for the rain, etc...), nobody actually cares because it's fast at doing nothing useful. It's easy to be fast when you have lightened your car to a point it's no longer useful. In the end, you do the things that matter much faster with other browsers, and with a whole different level of comfort.

These benchmarks should compare Firefox with other browsers. I mean serious browsers.
                  Last edited by Mez'; 06 January 2022, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Firefox has really gone to shit, I only reccomend using ungoogled chromium, If I have to choose between shit and more shit, I may as well choose the one that benefits me the most

Comment

Working...
                    X