Gentoo Linux Packages Up AMD ROCm, Makes Progress On RISC-V, LTO+PGO Python

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo Linux Packages Up AMD ROCm, Makes Progress On RISC-V, LTO+PGO Python

Phoronix: Gentoo Linux Packages Up AMD ROCm, Makes Progress On RISC-V, LTO+PGO Python

Gentoo Linux developers were very busy over the course of 2021 for this popular rolling-release operating system choice...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still and always the best linux OS

Comment

On the m68k front, I just got Xorg keyworded. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
        Still and always the best linux OS
        I'm just starting to enjoy the ride. Rebuild 945 of 950 packages with AOCC 3.2 compiler really nice Linux and buidling with different flags is so elegantly solved. Great thing.
        Had to do a second attempt to install because systemd is not the prefered first way to install so I ran into a few minor issues.

Next step: to somehow get to build the xanmod overlay with AOCC and passing LLVM=1 LLVM_IAS=1 to the genkernel build process to be able to at least enable ThinLTO.
        Once In a while the Kernel can be built FullLTO.
        On my dailydriver PopOs I build it this way regularly as deb-pkg. However very nice distro.
        Last edited by CochainComplex; 08 January 2022, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post

btw what game is this? i like the secenery

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post

AmigaOS, amiwm or Amiga Unix? o-o

Comment

OMG, Michael writing about Gentoo... well, okay, no benchmarks...
              Thanks for the summary. Even though I have an occasional fight with it, and sometimes I think it uses too much time, I still have Gentoo (openrc) on ... 7+ boxes, with 3 of them in daily use. It just is so flexible and individual, from old i486/686 architecture (one might really want to chroot-compile, though) up to Zen2 here.
              I still value precompiled distros, less individual, more stuff forced down your throat, more bloat, but I do see all the lot of work that goes into it. And - if there are no issues - you can simply slap some distro onto a device within 15 minutes.

PS: Yeah, what is that game called? It looks like some older RPG/Adventure with some EGA+-ish graphics.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

btw what game is this? i like the secenery
                That's the dMagnetic engine (which happens to be based on m68k assembly) running The Pawn. You have to run it in sixel mode for it to look this nice. Not many terminals support that but xterm does, and I think GNOME Terminal does in recent versions.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

AmigaOS, amiwm or Amiga Unix? o-o
                  amiwm. Running a game engine based on m68k assembly, in a WM inspired by an m68k OS, under a virtual m68k machine amused me.

Comment

To give a bit more details about ROCm packaging:
                    • Gentoo AFAIK went to package the whole LLVM fork of AMD, this is the path of least resistance, and Arch packagers did the same.
                      This is a divisive topic in Debian. It duplicates hundreds of megabytes of the llvm sources and libraries (this includes clang/clang++...).
                    • Gentoo included a proprietary library, hsa-amd-aqlprofile.
                    • "All of ROCm packages" is a bit of a catch-phrase, since the manifest for the ROCm release, and pretty much the whole ROCm stack is an unstable target.
                      There are a hundred github repos for ROCm, currently 50 are featured in the official release.
                      ROCm was five years ago with HSAIL, now they are with pure llvm bitcode and code objects, but seem to be eyeing strongly at moving back up a few level of indirections with LLVM MLIR...
                    This is nitpicking. Bravo to Gentoo, it is an impressive job!

Comment

Working...
                    X