Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building A Silent Linux Desktop For 2022 With The Streacom DB4

Phoronix: Building A Silent Linux Desktop For 2022 With The Streacom DB4

The long time Phoronix reader, with an excellent long-term memory, may remember an odd article from back in August 2017 on buying a passively cooled computer. It tells the tale of the consumer who decided to buy a rather niche, fanless, therefore passively cooled computer.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What a neat looking PC. It's the sexy version of a Borg Cube. Man, if I didn't already have a mile long list of stuff I'd like to have...that's about a 2.2 kilometer long list for y'all metric users.

I don't know if it's my internet or what, but the benchmarks on page 4 don't load up.

Comment

Awesome article. I also did a DB4 build, but with a discrete GPU a while ago, details at https://smallformfactor.net/forum/th...en2-navi.2138/

Comment

Michael, the wall power consumption table is rather ugly. It could have prettier table styling.

Comment

Thanks for the article. This is possibly a silly question, but you give measurements of power consumed and of performance, but not of decibels - did you measure noise? Did you manage to achieve zero moving parts, or are there any stray fans hiding anywhere, say on the motherboard or in the PSU? (I attempted to build a relatively quiet high-performance machine some years ago, and was thwarted by a tiny fan on the motherboard that ended up being noticeable once the other components were quiet).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            What a neat looking PC. It's the sexy version of a Borg Cube. Man, if I didn't already have a mile long list of stuff I'd like to have...that's about a 2.2 kilometer long list for y'all metric users.

I don't know if it's my internet or what, but the benchmarks on page 4 don't load up.
            Isn't a mile 1.6 kilometer? Or your list grows depending on the unit of measurement?

Comment

Originally posted by er888kh View Post

Isn't a mile 1.6 kilometer? Or your list grows depending on the unit of measurement?
              Yes.

I used pound to kilo weed math

And that is why metric is better than imperial.

Comment

Some more Streacom DB4 builds:
                1. Completely Silent Computer - tp69 2018-04-17 // Ryzen 5 1600
                2. The beautiful machine - Fabien Sanglard 2020-03-06, part 2 about Thunderbolt 3 // Ryzen 5 2600
                3. My Fanless OpenBSD Desktop - Joshua Stein 2021-07-19 // Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G

Comment

Originally posted by Zgembo View Post
                  Awesome article. I also did a DB4 build, but with a discrete GPU a while ago, details at https://smallformfactor.net/forum/th...en2-navi.2138/
                  Glad to hear!
                  Cool! Will read up on it!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Michael, the wall power consumption table is rather ugly. It could have prettier table styling.
                    Sorry about that. I used markdown to make the table, which pandoc then converted to html. Maybe there was a better way to stipulate how to align the data in markdown but the guide I found did not say. I just accepted what I had and moved on. I imagine you would rather had seen alignment by the decimal point? I promise to make prettier tables from now on forward!

Comment

Working...
                    X