Valve Rolling Out Dynamic Cloud Sync For Moving Between The Steam Deck & PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Rolling Out Dynamic Cloud Sync For Moving Between The Steam Deck & PC

Phoronix: Valve Rolling Out Dynamic Cloud Sync For Moving Between The Steam Deck & PC

Ahead of the Linux-based Steam Deck hopefully shipping around the end of February, Valve announced a new Steamworks feature called Dynamic Cloud Sync...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Dynamic Cloud Sync builds onto the existing Steam Cloud capabilities and makes it easy to transition to/from Steam on a PC and then the Steak Deck without having exit the game.
    Tasty!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Tasty!
      btw how does GNU taste?

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

btw how does GNU taste?
        Tasty according to Stephen Fry (4:35)

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Tasty according to Stephen Fry (4:35)
          Clunky GNU and Richard Stallman do seem quite elegant when introduced by a posh british Speaker

Comment

I figure this must only allow certain games, because I could see this breaking pretty easily. There are ways to cryofreeze programs but I imagine that would be very slow to cryofreeze a game, and would likely cause some major problems by switching to a system with a different OS/kernel and different hardware.

Comment

Valve is always doing amazing things for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I figure this must only allow certain games, because I could see this breaking pretty easily. There are ways to cryofreeze programs but I imagine that would be very slow to cryofreeze a game, and would likely cause some major problems by switching to a system with a different OS/kernel and different hardware.
                It requires explicit integration from the game.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  It just integrates with the games standard Save functionality, apparently. Calls that whenever the device sleeps.

Comment

I'm getting very worried about Steam Deck.

Though precise figures are difficult to obtain because Valve purposely obfuscates them, the best statistics I can find show that only 15% to 20% of PC games run on Proton.

And if that's the case it's going to be just as big a flop as Steam Machine.

Of course a few technically proficient people will try to put Windows on it, but since it has such a tiny amount of storage, even if you pay the outrageous price for the 512GB model, it's just not enough for a viable gaming system.

I certainly hope I'm wrong, and Valve has some kind of secret sauce that will change things over the next few months or so, but that's what I'd hoped for the Steam Machine. However, and unfortunately, the Steam Machine was just what it appeared to be - doomed to fail from the beginning.

So I can't shake this terrible feeling of Deja Vu.

Comment

Working...
                    X