No announcement yet.

JEDEC Publishes HBM3 Standard (JESD238)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JEDEC Publishes HBM3 Standard (JESD238)

Phoronix: JEDEC Publishes HBM3 Standard (JESD238)

JEDEC has published the JESD238 HBM3 standard as the next version for High Bandwidth Memory...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm honestly surprised Apple beat AMD to the "mega-APU with on package DRAM" game.

I'm not a huge fan of soldered DRAM, but if it has to be soldered for a super-mega-ultrabook, it would be nice to have 64GB of terabyte per second main memory.

Let's GOOOO AMD. We want a "Ryzen 9 7950BFG" with 16 Zen 4 cores, 36 RDNA gpu cores, and on package HBM3.

Comment

Well, well, well this looks great. I hope that we will some day see an AMD graphics card like theR9 Nano with RDNA, such a small high end graphics card would be great for small form factor systems. If the graphics card would be that small I would have the ability to build a (watercooled) gaming system with the form factor of the latest Sony/MS consoles with much more power.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post
        I'm honestly surprised Apple beat AMD to the "mega-APU with on package DRAM" game.

I'm not a huge fan of soldered DRAM, but if it has to be soldered for a super-mega-ultrabook, it would be nice to have 64GB of terabyte per second main memory.

Let's GOOOO AMD. We want a "Ryzen 9 7950BFG" with 16 Zen 4 cores, 36 RDNA gpu cores, and on package HBM3.
        It's not like AMD has had a reason to make a "mega-APU"; they would much rather sell you a dGPU. AMD's only incentive has been to make a iGPU that soundly beats Intel's iGPU. Hopefully chiplet based APUs will be viable at 5nm or 3nm and as a result APUs with large GPUs can be easily/cheaply produced.

Comment

Really? Apple's vertical integration means they have better margins. Combine that with a loyal customer base willing to pay much more for the latest and greatest Apple machines and you get a recipe for staying a couple generations ahead of the competition.

For a desktop products, they're going to have to limit TDP of their CPU socket so that motherboards don't have to be overbuilt for people not running their highest spec APUs. So, don't expect console-level APUs anytime soon.

And for laptops, it just seems that infinity cache does such a good job of reducing dependence on GDDR bandwidth that I wonder if HBM is even warranted. Same goes for their 3D V-Cache, on the CPU side of the system.

Yeah, in-package memory will probably be embraced by Intel and AMD, but it seems like AMD has been doing a lot to optimize around bottlenecks in traditional memory setups. At this point, I think Intel could be the first mainstream x86 CPU with a substantial amount of in-package DRAM.
          Last edited by coder; 29 January 2022, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad42 View Post

It's not like AMD has had a reason to make a "mega-APU"; they would much rather sell you a dGPU...
            I won't disagree with you there. It just seemed AMD was trending in that direction with Hawaii and Vega, where they invested R&D into HBM and interposer packaging.
            And then until Zen 2, they didn't really have a CPU core worthy of putting on a high-end APU.

Finally they would have needed a customer like Microsoft willing to package a device like a high-end Surface laptop where they could use the space & power savings of an HBM equipped APU.

Comment

It just seemed AMD was trending in that direction with Hawaii and Vega, where they invested R&D into HBM and interposer packaging.
              Exactly (except, you mean Fiji and Vega). That's why I thought they'd be the first to it, too. But that was before their GPUs got Infinity Cache and 3D V-Cache was announced for their CPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                Exactly (except, you mean Fiji and Vega). That's why I thought they'd be the first to it, too. But that was before their GPUs got Infinity Cache and 3D V-Cache was announced for their CPUs.
                but what is if we get a GPU with infinity cache and HBM3 and we get CPUs with 3D V-Cache and HBM3 ?
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
                  but what is if we get a GPU with infinity cache and HBM3 and we get CPUs with 3D V-Cache and HBM3 ?
                  Expensive. Especially with silicon prices, these days...

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    Expensive. Especially with silicon prices, these days...
                    the word Expensive is realtive here... if it is only more expensive because it has higher performance

then it can be still a good deal in "performance per dollar"
                    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                    X