Intel Preparing Resizable BAR Support For Their Arc Graphics On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Preparing Resizable BAR Support For Their Arc Graphics On Linux

Phoronix: Intel Preparing Resizable BAR Support For Their Arc Graphics On Linux

Ahead of the Intel Arc "Alchemist" graphics cards shipping this year, Intel's open-source developers have continued ironing out the Linux driver support. The most recent kernel patches are for getting their Resizable BAR "ReBAR" support in order...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Doesn't look like Resizable Bar has any noticeable impact (yet?). I wonder if games need to be built with ReBar in mind in order to see noticeable difference.
    We tested Resizable BAR to see if it can really boost games performance on Nvidia GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
      Doesn't look like Resizable Bar has any noticeable impact (yet?). I wonder if games need to be built with ReBar in mind in order to see noticeable difference.
      https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/wha...uld-you-use-it
      At least VKD3D-Proton (DX12-to-Vulkan) can already benefit from ReBAR.

From the 2.5 release notes:
      Performance

Resizable BAR can improve GPU performance about 10-15% in the best case, depends a lot on the game.
      Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding in particular improve massively with this change.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/wha...uld-you-use-it
        Yeah, so much noise about ReBar you'd think it adds at least 20% of performance but you're lucky if you get 2%.

But I imagine there are corner cases where it's truly needed.

Comment

I don't understand why rebar is so hard to deal with. I can walk into Home Depot and obtain rebar in many sizes (and lengths), and if it is a large project, have it shipped by the truckload....

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Yeah, so much noise about ReBar you'd think it adds at least 20% of performance but you're lucky if you get 2%.

But I imagine there are corner cases where it's truly needed.
            I think that must be an NVidia issue? Or being charitable, maybe their driver and/or hardware already had optimizations that make ReBar less of an issue for them.

Most tests on AMD that i've seen do seem to show real gains, although usually only in the 2%-10% range so not that major.

Comment

Working...
            X