No announcement yet.

NIR Continues Successfully Serving The Needs Of Mesa, Better Suited Than LLVM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIR Continues Successfully Serving The Needs Of Mesa, Better Suited Than LLVM

Phoronix: NIR Continues Successfully Serving The Needs Of Mesa, Better Suited Than LLVM

Prominent Mesa developer Jason Ekstrand who formerly led Intel's "ANV" Vulkan driver effort and being one of their open-source driver developers originally involved with the NIR intermediate representation work wrote a detailed and excellent blog post outlining its successes eight years running. While it still gets brought up into discussions from time to time (including quite recently stemming from a RISC-V graphics thread) why Mesa doesn't use LLVM IR or SPIR-V directly as its intermediate representation, NIR continues as a striking success and used by all major Mesa drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would it make sense to use NIR within ROCm?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      Would it make sense to use NIR within ROCm?
      The AMDGPU LLVM backend of ROCm has been praised pretty high by everyone involved whom I talked to, and an IR tailored for graphics might not be that suited for compute?

I wonder about this topic: if NIR is the reason ROCm has difficulties currently with Mesa interop, and how CUDA does on its side.
      Hello bridgman, you chiming in and transmitting some vulgarization would be much appreciated
      Last edited by Maxzor; 29 January 2022, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxzor View Post
        I wonder about this topic: if NIR is the reason ROCm has difficulties currently with Mesa interop, and how CUDA does on its side.
        Hello bridgman, you chiming in and transmitting some vulgarization would be much appreciated
        I suspect that the main problem with interop between ROCm (and OpenCL in general) and Mesa GL is that our QA team tests compute/graphics interop with the closed source GL driver rather than with Mesa GL. We are working on changing that, as well as extending interop coverage in general.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I suspect that the main problem with interop between ROCm (and OpenCL in general) and Mesa GL is that our QA team tests compute/graphics interop with the closed source GL driver rather than with Mesa GL. We are working on changing that, as well as extending interop coverage in general.
          Knowing how corporate pace can differ significantly from a consumer horizon, would it make any beginning of some sense if I proposed the subject to GSoC 2022?

Comment

He says quite a bit about the issues with using LLVM for radeonsi. Is there any mention recently of moving to ACO for radeonsi instead?

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
              He says quite a bit about the issues with using LLVM for radeonsi. Is there any mention recently of moving to ACO for radeonsi instead?
              ACO developers said in the past it was the eventual plan, but I haven't seen any recent updates on this.

Comment

How about using SPIR-V instead of NIR? Would there any benefit in this?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                  How about using SPIR-V instead of NIR? Would there any benefit in this?
                  Short answer: There wouldn't be any benefit, the long answer can be found in this thread on Mesa-dev: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ry/225640.html

Comment

Originally posted by gerddie View Post

Short answer: There wouldn't be any benefit, the long answer can be found in this thread on Mesa-dev: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ry/225640.html
                    Great answer, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                    X