KDE's Falkon Browser Sees First Major Update In Nearly Three Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Falkon Browser Sees First Major Update In Nearly Three Years

Phoronix: KDE's Falkon Browser Sees First Major Update In Nearly Three Years

Falkon as the KDE/Qt-focused open-source web browser is out with Falkon 3.2 as its first major update in nearly three years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It has served me well. I still use it when I want to open something in complete isolation from the other tabs. Call me paranoid, I call it "better safe than sorry"

Comment

Nice, but I wish they would release an AppImage build too!
      I've downloaded the xz package and extracted it, but I cannot see where is the executable.
      Do they release it just as source code?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Nice, but I wish they would release an AppImage build too!
        I've downloaded the xz package and extracted it, but I cannot see where is the executable.
        Do they release it just as source code?
        Can't you just install it as any other KDE app?

Comment

I like Falkon Browser, but their lack of forking keeps me very far away from any daily usage.

Once you open some website abusing of javascript, the browser will freeze or perform slow.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Can't you just install it as any other KDE app?
            Yes, but the version in Kubuntu's repository is not updated yet.
            As for the Flatpak version, I don't like it too much as it doesn't allow me to download the executable and save it for offline use.

Comment

Originally posted by WalterCool View Post
              I like Falkon Browser, but their lack of forking keeps me very far away from any daily usage.

Once you open some website abusing of javascript, the browser will freeze or perform slow.
              That's usually a pro for me (lower resource usage), but I'm not big on keeping tons of tabs open.

Yes, but the version in Kubuntu's repository is not updated yet.
              As for the Flatpak version, I don't like it too much as it doesn't allow me to download the executable and save it for offline use.
              Ah, Kubuntu, sorry about that. Go OpenSuse or Manjaro, Kubuntu is no way of experiencing KDE.
              I understand if you have reasons to stick with Kubuntu, but I have been there (for over 10 years) and know you're better served elsewhere. If you need to stick with Kubuntu, maybe try KDE Neon instead?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

That's usually a pro for me (lower resource usage), but I'm not big on keeping tons of tabs open.

Ah, Kubuntu, sorry about that. Go OpenSuse or Manjaro, Kubuntu is no way of experiencing KDE.
                I understand if you have reasons to stick with Kubuntu, but I have been there (for over 10 years) and know you're better served elsewhere. If you need to stick with Kubuntu, maybe try KDE Neon instead?
                I need compatibility with Debian because I have some packages that come in .deb format only and because many tutorials use Ubuntu as a distro and troubleshooting is easier on Ubuntu / Debian based distros.
                So, because of the shitshow fragmentation of Linux package managers, I cannot move.

Comment

I need compatibility with Debian because I have some packages that come in .deb format only and because many tutorials use Ubuntu as a distro and troubleshooting is easier on Ubuntu / Debian based distros.
                  So, because of the shitshow fragmentation of Linux package managers, I cannot move.
                  KDE Neon is Ubuntu based. Only with up to date Qt and KDE.

Comment

Together with the Otter Browser and Midori, they are Internet Explorers of Linux – they work barely (both in case of performance and stability) and most people having them installed after distro installation get rid of them or leave for a last resort.

Comment

Working...
                    X