Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Patches To Make It Easier To Run Their Discrete Graphics On Arm, Other Architectures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Patches To Make It Easier To Run Their Discrete Graphics On Arm, Other Architectures

Phoronix: Intel Patches To Make It Easier To Run Their Discrete Graphics On Arm, Other Architectures

A change currently being evaluated for Intel's "i915" Linux kernel graphics driver would make it easier for building driver support for their forthcoming discrete graphics products for targeting other non-x86 CPU architectures like Arm..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There were reports that the European Processor Initiative (EPI) does use Intel's XeHPC as accelerator. And as the first couple of generations are based on ARM, it would make sense that Intel puts ressources into making their dGPUs able to run on ARM and other ISA's.

Comment

Maybe finally a dgpu that works with the raspberry pi.

Comment

I would love an ARM system with Intel graphics.
        I like ARM because it is energy efficient and an effective architecture with good IPC, while Intel is energy hungry suffers from low IPC, but I like the Intel graphics because they are open source and have great drivers!

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
          Maybe finally a dgpu that works with the raspberry pi.
          The general problem on non-x86 platforms is that they often have non-spec-compliant PCI buses. E.g., they do not support cache coherency with the CPU or they do not allow regular mmaps of PCI resources (e.g., framebuffer). These are generally required for GPUs.

Comment

*cough* ..Gaming on PowerPC is getting closer

Comment

Whatever the next system from SiFive might be, I would like to pair a decent GPU with it in a speculative future that again has GPUs you can buy.
              In a speculative future where Box64 may advanced on RISC-V to the same level it is on ARM64 with a nice dynarec and Wine32on64 becoming the standard, I will play games on that.

Intels dGPU might be a option.

Comment

If there are enough "x86-isms" to prevent it from working on ARM, couldn't that mean there's also "Intel-isms" as well? In other words: no AMD system (to my knowledge) has directly used the i915 driver, so, what if there are things that won't work on AMD too? I'm sure there aren't many of these, or that it would take long to fix. Just something worth pointing out.

Comment

So, if Intel dGPU on ARM platform is possible, Intel dGPU on AMD x64 platform is even more possible.

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post
                    So, if Intel dGPU on ARM platform is possible, Intel dGPU on AMD x64 platform is even more possible.
                    sounds interesting. now with AV1 decode on he low-end cards... then i can upgrade old systems with that.

the amd radeon 6500XT is a complete failure because of the lag of AV1 decode.-
                    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                    X