It's 2022: Linux Open-Source GPU Drivers Seeing 3dfx Glide API Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's 2022: Linux Open-Source GPU Drivers Seeing 3dfx Glide API Support

Phoronix: It's 2022: Linux Open-Source GPU Drivers Seeing 3dfx Glide API Support

A new merge request for Linux's open-source Mesa graphics driver stack would provide a new 3dfx Glide API implementation that would work on modern GPUs backed by Mesa's Gallium3D drivers. This implementation of the 3dfx graphics API from the 1990s is implemented using the modern Rust programming language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is the speedup comparable to the one achieved by rewriting coreutils in Rust?

Comment

I absolutely love these things!
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

better later than never

Comment

I hope this can be useful for Wine, dosemu2, 86Box...

Comment

I don't really know if direct Glide implementation in Mesa makes more sense than some library that translates Glide API to OpenGL/Vulkan like DXVK but if it will be maintained then why not?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              I absolutely love these things!
              me too, even though I mostlikely will never have a personal usecase. But I like the fact that someone just took the opertunity to realise his ideas and shares it openly.

Comment

This could potentially be useful for an emulator like DOSBox-X to allow GLIDE calls to be passed through to the host. DOSBox-X already supports GLIDE pass-through to OpenGlide on Linux, but OpenGlide is rather buggy.

Comment

Yes, this is definitely useful for retro gaming! And if it could be wired up to DOSBox (or a fork thereof) and Proton, so DOS and early Windows games with native Glide support would utilize it out of the box on Linux, that would be sweet!

Also, it's always good to see Rust being used for something cool or fun like this. Thanks for making and sharing this, Link Mauve! I also approve of the name "Grover".

Comment

The usual open source achievements nobody asked for.

Comment

Working...
                    X