OnLogic ML100G-41 - A Great AMD Ryzen Powered SFF Industrial-Grade Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OnLogic ML100G-41 - A Great AMD Ryzen Powered SFF Industrial-Grade Computer

Phoronix: OnLogic ML100G-41 - A Great AMD Ryzen Powered SFF Industrial-Grade Computer

When it comes to small form factor (SFF) industrial PCs and IoT computers, it's been an area where Intel has traditionally dominated and served quite well. But now with the continued success of AMD's Ryzen processors, we are beginning to see more AMD-powered industrial computer solutions become available such as the recent OnLogic ML100 series with AMD SoC options. I've been testing out the OnLogic ML100G-41 powered by a Ryzen 7 4800U SoC for many weeks now and this fanless, industrial-grade computer has been running very well for a diverse variety of workloads.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Definition of small....
    Calling these SFF boxes small is pretty much a joke (Yes I know it's an acronym for the form factor).
    Esp. compared to something ARM.

GHF51, 1.8" SBC with AMD Ryzen™ Embedded R1000 Series, designed with AMD Ryzen, Pi size, Ubuntu-certified which is ideal for robotic arms/Vehicle Surveillance System/Facial recognition applications.

Now THAT is a small Ryzen.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
      Definition of small....
      GHF51, 1.8" SBC with AMD Ryzen™ Embedded R1000 Series, designed with AMD Ryzen, Pi size, Ubuntu-certified which is ideal for robotic arms/Vehicle Surveillance System/Facial recognition applications.

Until you add cooling... Then not so small. But still pretty nice!

Comment

Passively cooled small computers like these are useful for a neat and perfectly quiet workspace. But it's a bit disappointing that this thing has no Thunderbolt port, which would allow an eGPU to be hooked up to it. Even in the industrial use cases that this thing is marketed for, I can imagine some level of access to the PCI Express bus to be useful sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post
          Passively cooled small computers like these are useful for a neat and perfectly quiet workspace. But it's a bit disappointing that this thing has no Thunderbolt port, which would allow an eGPU to be hooked up to it. Even in the industrial use cases that this thing is marketed for, I can imagine some level of access to the PCI Express bus to be useful sometimes.
          When you get yourself such a machine, it is to reduce the risk of fan failure over time. All moving parts go bad after a while.
          Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
            Definition of small....
            Calling these SFF boxes small is pretty much a joke (Yes I know it's an acronym for the form factor).
            Esp. compared to something ARM.

Just sad this is Zen 1 technology. 12nm if I'm right. Imagine the TDP you could get with 7nm on these.

I got a larger IMB-V2000P(V2748, 2.9GHz, 35-54W) mini ITX board. But the CPU is really amazing. 8 cores (16 threads). I admit, not passive cooled.
            But I'm missing some benchmarks on the embedded CPU's here These would be nice.
            Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Originally posted by Smurphy View Post
              Unfortunately, it's limited by review sample access... Never had any hardware offers from AMD or their partners for Ryzen Embedded Linux testing (which is somewhat surprising considering likely to be running Linux there..)
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Smurphy View Post

Just sad this is Zen 1 technology. 12nm if I'm right. Imagine the TDP you could get with 7nm on these.

I got a larger IMB-V2000P(V2748, 2.9GHz, 35-54W) mini ITX board. But the CPU is really amazing. 8 cores (16 threads). I admit, not passive cooled.
                Agreed. Zen 1 had some pretty rough corners.
                I'd like something newer. Esp. so the early AMD iommu problems can go away.
                A similar form factor like the DFI with a V2000 would be epic.
                I can live with a less powerful CPU, as long as it's passively cooled.

Comment

Originally posted by Skum View Post

Until you add cooling... Then not so small. But still pretty nice!
                  I have one obviously. And I run it passively.
                  Granted, it gets pretty hot. But mostly because the vendor did a piss-poor cooling solution.
                  It's a flat alu standoff with a screw-on copper base and a useless thermal pad. So several thermal interfaces.
                  Not that big though. The entire box is like a standard rpi3 case.

Comment

The Husqvarna of PC's.

Comment

Working...
                    X