Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less Than 10% Of Firefox Users On Linux Are Running Wayland

Phoronix: Less Than 10% Of Firefox Users On Linux Are Running Wayland

Thanks to Mozilla's Telemetry capabilities, there is some interesting insight to how many Linux desktop users are still relying on an X.Org (X11) Server without Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Next year it will be opposite.

Comment

No wonder. Plasma with Wayland is still horribly buggy for me. It looks OK at start, but it doesn't take too long until something in the environment (i.e. not just a specific app) fails so horribly I have to return to X11 to continue working.

Wayland with GNOME? Well, at least on Ubuntu, Thunderbird seems to confuse the window/task manager. How's that even possible? Still the case in Ubuntu 21.10.

Comment

Not surprised when Plasma has such major deal breaker bugs still. But it's getting better, so yeah, it should start growing soon.

Comment

Does Fedora disable telemetry? Otherwise the results would be heavily flawed...
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Well, by default Firefox uses X on all major distros. One has to jump through hoops to get Firefox on Wayland on anything other than Gnome.

I recently installed CentOS Stream 9 and it even uses X by default on Gnome.

I've been using Firefox on Wayland exclusively and it's running without issue for me. Just wish it was easier to change the default.

Comment

How should we interpret this graph? Even with the explanations, I fail to grasp it. What exactly is on the Y-axis?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                Does Fedora disable telemetry? Otherwise the results would be heavily flawed...
                Was wondering the same. There is no way those results are sane.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Was wondering the same. There is no way those results are sane.
                  fedora is not so popular, most of people uses ubuntu, mint and manjaro

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

fedora is not so popular, most of people uses ubuntu, mint and manjaro
                    It has nothing to do with distro choice.
                    Look at the data. There is no way a large userbase average fluctuates like this.
                    Because 2-3% of the userbase does not use wayland on weekends? Or something?
                    I don't know how to interpret those fluctuations.
                    Last edited by milkylainen; 07 February 2022, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X