Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Is Hiring Again For Their Linux - Client - Effort

Phoronix: AMD Is Hiring Again For Their Linux - Client - Effort

After establishing a new organization within AMD last year focused on improving AMD client platforms on Linux, they are now hiring again for this endeavor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's not about having a GUI client for their graphics driver, right?

Comment

cl333r read the article

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        It's not about having a GUI client for their graphics driver, right?
        I do not think, so

I think is is relatd to Xilinx magic

On January 27, 2022, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., (“AMD”) and Xilinx, Inc. (“Xilinx”) received clearance from the National Anti-Monopoly Policy Bureau of the State Administration for Market Regulation of the People’s Republic of China with respect to the merger (the “Merger”) of Thrones Merger Sub, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of AMD (“Merger Sub”), with and into Xilinx, with Xilinx surviving the Merger as a wholly owned subsidiary of AMD, pursuant to, and subject to the terms and conditions set forth in, that certain Agreement and Plan of Merger (the “Merger Agreement”), dated as of October 26, 2020, by and among AMD, Merger Sub and Xilinx.

On January 10, 2022, in connection with the proposed Merger, AMD refiled its Premerger Notification and Report Form (the “Notification”) with the Federal Trade Commission (the “FTC”) and the Department of Justice (the “DOJ”) under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act of 1976, as amended (the “HSR Act”). The Notification was made prior to the one-year expiration of the previous HSR Act notification. The waiting period under the HSR Act, which began upon refiling the Notification, will expire at 11:59 pm, Eastern Time, on February 9, 2022, unless AMD and Xilinx receive early termination or AMD or Xilinx receives a request for additional information that would extend the waiting period.
        https://ir.amd.com/sec-filings/conte...&preload=false

With more related documents to to sale on new shares of AMD to current Xilinx share owners
        https://ir.amd.com/sec-filings/conte...-22-000016.pdf

Approximate date of commencement of proposed sale of the securities to the public:As soon as practicable after this Registration Statement
        becomes effective and the conditions contemplated by the Agreement and Plan of Merger described herein have been satisfied or waived
        https://ir.amd.com/sec-filings/conte...-22-027111.pdf

that show that minutes or hours after Wednesday approval will be merger finished
        And joint AMD Xilinx shows posibility of new chiplet/3D chiplet based joint products very soon., And they need much more software suport the current products of both comapnies alone

And AMD will be in time press
        SAN JOSE, Calif., January 26, 2022
        As permitted by the terms of the Merger Agreement between Xilinx and Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD), the Xilinx Board of Directors voted unanimously to declare a cash dividend of $0.37 per outstanding share of common stock payable on February 14, 2022 to all stockholders of record at the close of business on February 7, 2022. The dividend is conditioned upon and will only be payable if the merger has not closed on or before the record date for such dividend.

Last edited by Peter Fodrek; 07 February 2022, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I just want reliable reporting for cpu and gpu stats. currently with gpu, the only way to get video decode metrics is an outdated fork of radeontop that only supports r600 and up.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            I just want reliable reporting for cpu and gpu stats. currently with gpu, the only way to get video decode metrics is an outdated fork of radeontop that only supports r600 and up.
            yeah its unfortunate. its all there in the driver but accessing it is a mess. i love my 6900 xt, but nvidia's control panel is nice. their control panel may be an old gtk 2 one from 2005, but its very functional. it be nice if amd just released a basic, open source control panel and let the community go from there. but have something official to work off of with amd's own eyes on it.

Comment

amd needs to have the non-gui elements in place for an opensource control panel (not implying that currently they have none... just that there's a bunch of useful stuff pending)

the panels will come, and even better is if those elements are exposed in a way that, to the limit that this makes sense, can be handled similarly for all gpu brands and models (W consumption, temperature, main clock and memory clock, fan curve, ...)

a few nifty things i've seen in the past:

old talks about embrionary work on exposing things (which has advanced since)
              Overclocking your graphic cards in Linux and getting the most out of them is more difficult than Windows. For AMD card owners, the utilities that you need to overclock your card are included in the drivers you already have installed. Here's how you can easily overclock the AMD GPU to get the best performance possible.

Radeon Profile is awesome tech, opensource and maintained by AMD

CoreCtrl is also awesome:
              Quite an interesting one this, CoreCtrl from developer Juan Palacios aims to be a game changer in letting you setup your hardware to do things automatically when a program is launched and more.

Comment

Originally posted by marlock View Post
                amd needs to have the non-gui elements in place for an opensource control panel (not implying that currently they have none... just that there's a bunch of useful stuff pending)

the panels will come, and even better is if those elements are exposed in a way that, to the limit that this makes sense, can be handled similarly for all gpu brands and models (W consumption, temperature, main clock and memory clock, fan curve, ...)

a few nifty things i've seen in the past:

old talks about embrionary work on exposing things (which has advanced since)
                Overclocking your graphic cards in Linux and getting the most out of them is more difficult than Windows. For AMD card owners, the utilities that you need to overclock your card are included in the drivers you already have installed. Here's how you can easily overclock the AMD GPU to get the best performance possible.

Radeon Profile is awesome tech, opensource and maintained by AMD
                https://gpuopen.com/gaming-product/r...-profiler-rgp/

CoreCtrl is also awesome:
                https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...rofiles.14581/
                my problem with corectrl is that it does more than just gpu things. i hate it how it messes with cpu governors and the like. i know you can disable that stuff, but i wish it was strictly gpu only. just copy nvidia with their control panel lol.
                Last edited by middy; 07 February 2022, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X