Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Graphics Driver Has Alder Lake N & DG2/Alchemist Performance Boost For Linux 5.18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Graphics Driver Has Alder Lake N & DG2/Alchemist Performance Boost For Linux 5.18

Phoronix: Intel Graphics Driver Has Alder Lake N & DG2/Alchemist Performance Boost For Linux 5.18

Intel on Tuesday submitted to DRM-Next what is likely to be their biggest set of feature updates for their "i915" kernel graphics driver in this spring's Linux 5.18...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When can we expect laptops/Chromebooks with Alder Lake N support to start shipping? Anyone in the industry know?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      When can we expect laptops/Chromebooks with Alder Lake N support to start shipping? Anyone in the industry know?
      My bet is on late Q3 or in Q4. Let's hope it's sooner, but I wouldn't plan on getting one before the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        My bet is on late Q3 or in Q4. Let's hope it's sooner, but I wouldn't plan on getting one before the end of the year.
        I desperately needed a new Chromebook because my old one was broken so I saw a $100 off sale on a Jasper Lake model and jumped on it, it isn't a bad laptop but I wish it had a bit more power but there was no way I could wait till Q4. Kinda sucks that Google announced steam will only be supported on Gen 11 core series and newer. I was like well now I know why the atom based Jasper Lakes were discounted!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
          I desperately needed a new Chromebook because my old one was broken so I saw a $100 off sale on a Jasper Lake model and jumped on it, it isn't a bad laptop but I wish it had a bit more power but there was no way I could wait till Q4.
          Sorry for your misfortune, but at least you got the discount. If you'd paid more and bought it before necessary, I think it would feel more regrettable.

Hopefully, when you step up to something better, it can be a bigger leap. The 15 W class of laptops has really come a long ways, in terms of performance, and yet they're still fairly thin, light, and less expensive than the 35+ W models.

AMD's new 6000-series APUs will offer up to 8 cores / 16 threads @ 15 W. Intel plans to address this segment with no more than 2 P-cores + 8 E-cores. Should be an interesting battle. Here's fresh review of Rembrandt (in the 35/45/65 W class):

Comment

Working...
          X