Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Enabling FreeSync Video Mode By Default With Linux 5.18, Merging AMDKFD CRIU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Enabling FreeSync Video Mode By Default With Linux 5.18, Merging AMDKFD CRIU

Phoronix: AMD Enabling FreeSync Video Mode By Default With Linux 5.18, Merging AMDKFD CRIU

On Friday AMD submitted their first big batch of feature changes to their AMDGPU kernel graphics driver to DRM-Next for queuing ahead of the Linux 5.18 merge window. Most notable with this big batch of AMDGPU feature changes is the FreeSync video mode being enabled by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Big props to Felix Kuehling's and the other kernel teams, very awesome features!

Now, if instead of shipping mountains of code, they could upstream mountains of code with excellent documentation, that'd be great. Will probably rant on the mailing list, it is in an unacceptable state.
    Last edited by Maxzor; 13 February 2022, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxzor View Post
      Big props to Felix Kuehling's and the other kernel teams, very awesome features!

Now, if instead of shipping mountains of code, they could upstream mountains of code with excellent documentation, that'd be great. Will probably rant on the mailing list, it is in an unacceptable state.
      Tell me about it. This is some informative stuff right here:

Comment

I would also accept a slightly smaller mountain of code with some documentation. The status quo clearly is bad.

Comment

What about HDMI2.0 freesync?

Comment

Freesync is already enabled in KDE... or this is different?

Comment

I'm not sure I like the idea of FreeSync enabled by default. I might be in a minority, but I have a FreeSync monitor (which I didn't buy because of FreeSync), but I prefer to use regular Vsync (I like to have steady 60 fps and I reduce the input lag with framerate limiters in most of my games anyway). About 4 years ago I tried FreeSync on Windows out of curiosity and the experience wasn't good. It caused constant stutters every few seconds and didn't really reduce input lag. I also accidentally turned off my monitor while in game, so after I turned it back on, the image was frozen and I couldn't do anything but a hard reboot.
              So yeah, FreeSync didn't leave a very good taste in my mouth. Will there be a kernel argument to turn it off?

Comment

FreeSync is handling v-blank interval below monitor max. refresh rate in FreeSync range. Then you can specify if you want to have V-sync ON to "cap" FPS to your monitor refresh rate or V-sync OFF for uncapped FPS above refresh rate to minimize input lag but there will be tearing.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                  So yeah, FreeSync didn't leave a very good taste in my mouth.
                  You're not supposed to put it in your mouth you silly goose, it's for monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                    You're not supposed to put it in your mouth you silly goose, it's for monitors.
                    Metaphorically, you can put every physical and non physical thing in the universe in your mouth. Even black holes.
                    Last edited by user1; 13 February 2022, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X