Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proton 7.0 Released With More Games Running On Linux, EAC Support, Many Other Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proton 7.0 Released With More Games Running On Linux, EAC Support, Many Other Updates

Phoronix: Proton 7.0 Released With More Games Running On Linux, EAC Support, Many Other Updates

Ahead of the Steam Deck beginning to ship at month's end, Valve overnight released Proton 7.0-1 as the newest version of their software that allows many Windows games to run on Linux with great success. Proton 7.0 is rebased against the new upstream Wine 7.0 while also having many other changes in tow...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

DCS World Steam Edition
    This is what I've been waiting for. It seems Dangerous Waters is also working with Proton while it doesn't want to work with Windows 10. Linux/Proton is becoming better gaming platform for Windows games than Windows itself.

Comment

Yesterday I was doing some quick tests, just simple feels and happiness testing without looking at numbers*, and I swear that Proton Experimental+Steam Shader Cache played Snowrunner at 1080p scaled to 4K better than Windows. It felt nice and made me happy. It certainty looks a bit better which I think is due to using FSR Ultra/0 (WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1 WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR_STRENGTH=0) on Linux and plain integer on Windows. W/o setting strength the default is 2. Then I switched from Proton Ex over to Proton-GE, played for about 5 minutes, and went back to Proton Ex. Proton-GE was about the same as Proton Ex without the shader cache -- a less than steallar experience until cache is generated...and then the sun changes position in the sky right when you're going around a corner at full speed carrying a load of pipes and a cargo container so your screen freezes for 3-5 seconds while cache is generated and then you unfreeze in a ditch..

My first run was Proton Ex and no shader cache...I do not recommend generating your own cache on the fly if you're playing Snowrunner...especially if you're in a flippy truck.

I assume that Proton Experimental from yesterday is Proton 7.0 today.

*sometimes I have to test without numbers. When your FPS counter is essentially 60fps regardless of the game, OS, etc it comes down to noticing things like microstutter, tearing, input response, lag.

Comment

A complete list of the playable games by this software is available?

Comment

Hopefully this means that Mediatonic is going to enable Proton Support for EAC in Fall Guys. Sometimes it's the only reason that I have to boot into Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
            A complete list of the playable games by this software is available?
            Yep! See ProtonDB.

Comment

Sweet, I was waiting for Rocksmith... hopefully the actual cable for the guitar works with this under Linux!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Yep! See ProtonDB.
                Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X