Intel's 2022 Investor Meeting Talks Up Sierra Forst, Falcon Shores & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's 2022 Investor Meeting Talks Up Sierra Forst, Falcon Shores & More

Phoronix: Intel's 2022 Investor Meeting Talks Up Sierra Forst, Falcon Shores & More

In addition to the road-map update for Arc Graphics and Sapphire Rapids along with announcing Falcon Shores as a server CPU/APU/XPU pulling in Xe Graphics, Intel's 2022 Investor Meeting also made other updates and some new disclosures...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Probably too poor to buy any of this stuff new but it all sounds so exciting! Can't wait till 2028 when this stuff starts hitting the used market. A Falcon Shores APU sounds so exciting. Would love one in a ThinkPad! Also a many core workstation with something like the Xeon Phi but with much more powerful cores for virtualization sounds enticing with that E core only Xeon offering. Not mentioned in the article is that NVMe PCI 5 drives approach the speed of DDR3 RAM. Gonna have us some mighty fine systems in the next few years. Lets not forget AMD either with their massive amounts of Cache on future Ryzen models, Zen 4 and Zen 5 should be fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      A Falcon Shores APU sounds so exciting. Would love one in a ThinkPad!
      No, that would be nothing new. The point seems to be that it's a server-grade APU! There's about as much chance of you getting Falcon Shores in a Thinkpad as there is of getting a current-gen server CPU in one (i.e. none).

Gonna have us some mighty fine systems in the next few years. Lets not forget AMD either with their massive amounts of Cache on future Ryzen models, Zen 4 and Zen 5 should be fantastic!
      As you mentioned, all of this is going to be very expensive.

I don't even have access to high-end systems at home or work, today. In fact, I've been priced out of the workstation market, at home. My next CPU is going to have a mainstream socket. Fortunately, core counts and bandwidth have improved so greatly, in mainstream platforms, that it's not a bad compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        No, that would be nothing new. The point seems to be that it's a server-grade APU! There's about as much chance of you getting Falcon Shores in a Thinkpad as there is of getting a current-gen server CPU in one (i.e. none).
        What does a server need an APU for? They just do basic VGA output of a console. Heck most servers still support a serial console!

Comment

What does a server need an APU for? They just do basic VGA output of a console. Heck most servers still support a serial console!
          GPU-style compute. It's unclear if it'll actually have any graphics-specific hardware or a display controller, though I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

Comment

Working...
          X