Intel Working On "Small BAR" Linux Driver Support For DG2/Alchemist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Working On "Small BAR" Linux Driver Support For DG2/Alchemist

Phoronix: Intel Working On "Small BAR" Linux Driver Support For DG2/Alchemist

Intel's forthcoming Arc Graphics "Alchemist" (DG2) graphics cards do support Resizable BAR functionality as covered when they previously published Linux patches for it. They are also now working on a DG2 feature for "small BAR" support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This clearly represents a missed opportunity for a "mini BAR" rename...

Comment

is it possible to use the computer with only the memory on the video card with all these "resizable bar"?

Comment

What a bad name, "bar" has an association with a drinking bar or a pole, not with a memory heap.

Comment

When/where does this actually apply? If you can use a larger than 256 MiB BAR, it surely means you have 64 bit mapping support. And in that case, you have a metric ton of address space, much more than you'd ever need for a GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            What a bad name, "bar" has an association with a drinking bar or a pole, not with a memory heap.
            There's a good chance this name predates your birth.

BAR stands for "base address register". It comes from the PCI specification. That was long before snowflakes were getting routinely offended by technical terms
            Last edited by intelfx; 19 February 2022, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

There's a good chance this name predates your birth.

BAR stands for "base address register". It comes from the PCI specification.
              There's a good chance almost everything predates my birth or I'm not in that field. Regardless it's still a shitty name, not that anyone cares.

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
              That was long before snowflakes were getting routinely offended by technical terms
              Speaking of which, I didn't like when they changed git master to main but now that I've used the new name I like it better. It's shorter and doesn't have the slavery connotation attached to it.

Comment

Speaking of which, I didn't like when they changed git master to main but now that I've used the new name I like it better. It's shorter and doesn't have the slavery connotation attached to it.
                Funny that native English speakers apparently don't consider "race" as an inappropriate term to describe humans, but of course for "master" the worst interpretation must be assumed...
                Or perhaps don't call politicians "leaders", they're freaking representatives (at least they should be)...
                Oh, and why only call inhabitant's of the US "Americans", it's not like the other countries of that continent wouldn't be American either...

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  Funny that native English speakers apparently don't consider "race" as an inappropriate term to describe humans, but of course for "master" the worst interpretation must be assumed...
                  Or perhaps don't call politicians "leaders", they're freaking representatives (at least they should be)...
                  Oh, and why only call inhabitant's of the US "Americans", it's not like the other countries of that continent wouldn't be American either...
                  I'm not from the US and English isn't my native language, and "race" is obviously not an inappropriate term.

Comment

and "race" is obviously not an inappropriate term.
                    You can do better.

Comment

Working...
                    X