Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Levente Polyak Re-Elected Arch Linux Project Leader

Phoronix: Levente Polyak Re-Elected Arch Linux Project Leader

Arch Linux has re-elected its current project leader...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What do you hope to see out of Arch Linux over the next two years? Let us know in the forums.
    OpenZFS added to Arch Core so it can be added to Arch Install. For me, that's it.

Comment

x86_64-v3 packages.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

OpenZFS added to Arch Core so it can be added to Arch Install. For me, that's it.
        Very very shaky legal ground. Oracel would and should sue the hell out of them.

There are anyways better, more reliable, linux native file systems available right in the kernel

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
          Oracle would and should sue the hell out of them.
          Based on what? If anything, distributing OpenZFS binary modules with Linux kernel might be a violation of the GPL (according to FSF), but Canonical has done this for a few years without legal repercussion.

There are anyways better, more reliable, linux native file systems available right in the kernel
          That's debatable, but that's a debate for another thread...

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Based on what? If anything, distributing OpenZFS binary modules with Linux kernel might be a violation of the GPL (according to FSF), but Canonical has done this for a few years without legal repercussion.
            "Considering Oracle's litigious nature and the questions over licensing, there's no way I can feel safe in ever doing so" - Linus

Canonical is in hot water with that, and this for basically zero benefit. Oracle will sue them when the time comes, zero doubt about that.
            What comes next from Canonical? Ubuntu on NTFS That would probably be more useful then Ubuntu on ZFS though.

"the benchmarks I've seen do not make ZFS look all that great. Don't use ZFS. It's that simple." - Linus

ZFS, simply said, was nice and shiny 15 years ago, but today its just a mediocre choice under a selection of much better filesystems that are right in the kernel.

Comment

Canonical has lawyers that can defend their claims in court, if Oracle or the FSF sues them. (I doubt the FSF would sue Canonical anyways, but this also can be used as a precedent to allow any incompatible open or closed source module in the kernel in the future, and Oracle has business relationship with Canonical, and hey, maybe Canonical are already paying some money to Oracle behind the scenes to keep them in line, who knows?). Oracle might not have any rights over the software itself (OpenZFS, that is), but has the trademarks of ZFS, and can sue based on that name.

Kernel devs doesn't want any of that, so OpenZFS is out for the time being. I doubt Archlinux have the resources to waste on lawyers, so no *ZFS by default, but as usual, YMMV, and in any case, consult your local lawyer.
              Last edited by stargeizer; 23 February 2022, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Dammit. I'm so sorry, y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                  "Considering Oracle's litigious nature and the questions over licensing, there's no way I can feel safe in ever doing so" - Linus
                  There's a difference between a distro shipping OpenZFS and allowing CDDL code into the kernel.

Canonical is in hot water with that, and this for basically zero benefit. Oracle will sue them when the time comes, zero doubt about that.
                  What "hot water" are you talking about? And why would Oracle need to wait to sue? Ubuntu has been shipping ZFS for 6 years now..

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Dammit. I'm so sorry, y'all.
                    There's nothing for you to be sorry for. Alexmitter needs to stop making baseless claims.

Comment

Working...
                    X