Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's IWD 1.25 Adds Support For Encrypting Network Credentials, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's IWD 1.25 Adds Support For Encrypting Network Credentials, Other Improvements

Phoronix: Intel's IWD 1.25 Adds Support For Encrypting Network Credentials, Other Improvements

Last week a new version of Intel's IWD open-source wireless daemon was published with a few improvements and new features for this increasingly used alternative to WPA_Supplicant on Linux systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it time to replace wpa_supplicant with IWD ?

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
      Many people uses that with NetworkManager from years with success (but still there are probably some enterprise setups not supported. And IWD refues to support WEP for years [because insecure], but hopefully it changed)

Switching between is as simple as writing/etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/wifi_backend.conf
      Code:
      [FONT=monospace][device]
      wifi.backend=iwd
      #wifi.backend=wpa_supplicant[/FONT]
      Later you need to reboot or 'systemctl daemon-reload; systemctl restart NetworkManager'

Comment

Yes, the time was long ago.
        I use iwd since 4.1x and back then there were issues with 8021x networks before kernel 4.19, but since then I had no problems (after the initial setup).

Comment

I did an install (Arch on a new laptop a year ago. I tried everything and read everything to get iwd to work. It was flaky. It worked on boot-up, then would stop working, then seemed to work, etc.

Just last week I tried again. It Just Worked(TM) fine. I even converted my old laptop while I was at it, no more wpa_supplicant, and going systemd-resolved and -timesyncd while I was at it. Everything seems to be working correctly, and very simple to my experience (YMMV?...)

Clemmitt

Comment

Wiki for profile encryption is up: https://iwd.wiki.kernel.org/profile_encryption

Comment

Working...
            X