Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smartmontools 7.3 Released For Monitoring Disk Drive SMART Status

Phoronix: Smartmontools 7.3 Released For Monitoring Disk Drive SMART Status

Smartmontools 7.3 was released as the first update to this open-source package in more than one year for providing a utility (smartctl) and daemon (smartd) for monitoring the SMART capabilities built into modern (S)ATA / NVMe / SCSI / SAS disk drives...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    monitoring the SMART capabilities built into modern (S)ATA / NVMe / SCSI / SAS disk drives...
    ...and USB drives too.

(Though one my argue that USB drive with SMART capabilities tend to internally be SATA or NVMe in an enclosure equipped with a USB Mass Storage or USB Attached SCSI bridge. So they are technically covered by the list).

But this support for USB makes smartmontools a very workable solution for single board computer with only USB ports (e.g. using a Raspberry Pi 4 as a mini-NAS)

Comment

Nice, this one now detects my USB NVME dock, so I can read SMART data from the NVME I plug in. Previous version did not work with it.

Comment

I wonder if that'll help some USB-2-IDE or USB-2-SATA bridges. Sadly, some simply won't pass SMART stuff through, everything else (higher level) seems to work. It's nasty if you have to take things apart and re-attach to some real connector on your system just for an occasional check.
        Also I noticed that some of my CF cards don't support SMART (others do), while even some ancient WD 420 MB (M!) PIO 4 IDE HDD does have some basic SMART support.
        But smartmontools is a very welcome thing in any case.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

To see if your USB enclosure is supported, look at: https://www.smartmontools.org/browse.../smartctl.8.in and find the --device option (it is pretty long). Is your USB enclosure's chip named there? If you don't know who the manufacturer is, try lsusb (or 'lsusb -v') when the enclosure is plugged into your machine. These days USB enclosure chip manufacturers often approach us at smartmontools with code that "threads the needle". One popular way for NVMe M2 style modules is to creatively misuse the SCSI ATA PASS THROUGH command to tunnel NVMe commands.

Comment

I need it on Ubuntu 22.04, which has the 7.2.

Who can I upgrade it without building it from sources?

Thank you so much!

Comment

Working...
            X