Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HarfBuzz 4.0 Released For This Open-Source Text Shaping Library

Phoronix: HarfBuzz 4.0 Released For This Open-Source Text Shaping Library

The HarfBuzz open-source text shaping library that is used by GNOME/GTK, KDE/Qt, Android, Java, Flutter, Firefox, LibreOffice, and numerous other applications and toolkits is out with HarfBuzz 4.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What great news! Keep up the good work and thank you for your efforts!

Comment

Not that Java is relevant on the desktop anymore (assuming it ever was), but I'm curious when will this make it's way into a proper (LTS) release.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Not that Java is relevant on the desktop anymore (assuming it ever was), but I'm curious when will this make it's way into a proper (LTS) release.
        LTS comes out every 3 years or so. The last LTS was only in Sept 2021, so you will have to wait for a few years still.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

LTS comes out every 3 years or so. The last LTS was only in Sept 2021, so you will have to wait for a few years still.
          I believe it's every two years now. But I'm not convince it will actually make it into the next LTS. Hence my question.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I believe it's every two years now. But I'm not convince it will actually make it into the next LTS. Hence my question.
            Why wouldn't it? Java regular rebases for the latest version of harfbuzz already

Comment

Can someone who's used this explain to me why I would ever prefer it to FreeType?

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
                Can someone who's used this explain to me why I would ever prefer it to FreeType?
                You wouldn't. Many software components use both because they serve related but different purposes. Freetype does individual glyphs and harfbuzz is responsible for shaping and integrates with freetype, refer to https://harfbuzz.github.io/integration-freetype.html

Comment

Why wouldn't it? Java regular rebases for the latest version of harfbuzz already
                  Thanks, that's the part I was missing.
                  With Java moving at a glacial pace, I wasn't sure where they are wrt to 3rd party dependencies.

/subj (the thread isn't about Java)

Comment

You wouldn't.
                    Thanks for the link.

As you say, in (at least) my case, I don't see HarfBuzz really adding anything of value. Still, it's nice to know it's there on the offchance that I might want it someday.

Comment

Working...
                    X