Anker's USB-C Hub Has Been Working Out Well With Valve's Steam Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anker's USB-C Hub Has Been Working Out Well With Valve's Steam Deck

Phoronix: Anker's USB-C Hub Has Been Working Out Well With Valve's Steam Deck

Since last month's Steam Deck launch a few Phoronix readers have been asking about USB-C hubs for expanding connectivity with this handheld Linux-powered gaming console. Pretty much any reliable USB-C hub should do, while for my purposes the past month I've been using the Anker USB-C Hub...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great review!

Comment

I love that this doesn't require a proprietary dock. I can reuse my USB-C hub!

Comment

Im still just a little dissapointed it doesn't have egpu support.

Comment

I have been wondering if a dock like Nexdock would be worth pairing with the Steamdeck? I'm positive it would be compatible but cannot imagine if doing so would be practical without seeing a Steamdeck in person first.

edit: I am specifically referring to the laptop like docks like the Nexdock 360
          Last edited by CTown; 06 March 2022, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            Im still just a little dissapointed it doesn't have egpu support.
            I believe the USB-C port isn't thunderbolt, so there isn't enough bandwidth for an eGPU.
            It isn't reasonable for Valve to spend the money on this when it would likely be very niche.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post

I believe the USB-C port isn't thunderbolt, so there isn't enough bandwidth for an eGPU.
              It isn't reasonable for Valve to spend the money on this when it would likely be very niche.
              will be a lot less niche when people go to plug it into their TV's and it preforms like, crap. valve advertised plugging the machine into their TV. people will compare it to the switch, except now the common TV being sold is 4k and not 1080p. not to mention most switch games upscale fairly well using simple algorithms. even with FSR. A lot of people are gonna be dissapointed with the preformance or looks of the games.

eGPU won't look so bad then.

Comment

will be a lot less niche when people go to plug it into their TV's and it preforms like, crap. valve advertised plugging the machine into their TV. people will compare it to the switch, except now the common TV being sold is 4k and not 1080p. not to mention most switch games upscale fairly well using simple algorithms. even with FSR. A lot of people are gonna be dissapointed with the preformance or looks of the games.

Geez, you really like to write alot of non-sense!

First, please tell us how the Steam Deck can possibly look bad when compared to Nintendo's Switch of all consoles?

And AMD's FSR is built into the GameScope compositor, which means absolutely every game can benefit from it out-of-the-box.

The only thing that would be desirable to have is the option of activating Feral's GameMode when plugged in for easily switching over to the performance governor; otherwise the Steam Deck is a pretty solid device which is described as a "game-changer" (yeah, I know) by YouTube's best Australian game-reviewer SkillUp!

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                  First, please tell us how the Steam Deck can possibly look bad when compared to Nintendo's Switch of all consoles?
                  As I explicitly said, the majority of the the switch's game library upscale really well. go play BOTW on the switch, then doom on the switch, even at a 1080p monitor and the quality difference is large. on a 4k monitor even, BOTW at console res, looks pretty... okay. doom on the otherhand is nearly unplayable IMO.

whether or not a game is one that scales nicely makes a vast difference. A large chunk of the switch's game library particulairly the more popular games, upscale pretty well. the same cannot be said for the steamdeck, due to the sheer amount of diverse styles. pair that with the knowledge that the nintendo switch is what 5 years old now, and people will complain. even if it isn't the decks fault. it is a fault you get with the deck.

And AMD's FSR is built into the GameScope compositor, which means absolutely every game can benefit from it out-of-the-box.
                  and?

The only thing that would be desirable to have is the option of activating Feral's GameMode when plugged in for easily switching over to the performance governor; otherwise the Steam Deck is a pretty solid device which is described as a "game-changer" (yeah, I know) by YouTube's best Australian game-reviewer SkillUp!
                  I don't care if it is a game changer or not, as I said just a little dissapointed, I still want one. but game changer or not, it's going to be shit when plugged into a 4k TV. I am well familiar with FSR. however FSR will not close the gap nearly enough.

one should not hide the flaws of a device by saying "but it can do this instead" but rather acknowledge the flaws so the future can do better. Just because the console is going to be really good in handled doesn't mean that valve did not advertise it being played on the TV. which IMO was a large mistake. as only some games will be a good experience depending on your individual tolerances.

Comment

Could you share some of your sources on this? I have seen many Youtube video reviews but not much on topics such as trying to sustain 30W when plugged in or changing the resolution to 1080p when docked. All of the reviews have been mostly focused on the new Steam big picture mode and the percentage of verified games; except maybe a more detailed GamersNexus hardware review video.

Most Switch games upscale nicely? I thought that has not happened yet. Perhaps, you are using an emulator? Either way, FSR should be a lot better than the checkerboard upscaler that the previous console generation used to output "4K".

Would be cool if someone would compare the newest Monster Hunter on the Steamdeck vs Switch.

Comment

Working...
                    X