Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.17-rc7 Released - Final Kernel Planned For Next Weekend

Phoronix: Linux 5.17-rc7 Released - Final Kernel Planned For Next Weekend

Barring any last minute issues the Linux 5.17 stable kernel is expected to be out next Sunday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

how can i change the lowest frequency for powersave governor with this new amd patch cause my cpu will go down to 400Hz and will stay there regardless of what i do and there is no difference in power consumption compare to no amd patch.
    the ondemand governor with amd patch consume about 15-20w more that powersave mode without amd patch (witch is 1.4Ghz)

Comment

Is it just me or is this kernel version pretty boring?

Either Hardware support that is not released and buyable, or pretty much useless Wii U, the FS Patches are better than nothing but also not very exciting. Some Risc Stuff that nobody has at home, currently, too.

Comment

Not very interesting to me too

Comment

I like to read about changes in the kernel ... but I can't say that each kernel brings something that would change or I would actually see a change in day to day using my Linux computers. I guess that is a good thing .

Comment

Did we get to latest ZSTD with this or will it be in .18 instead?

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              Is it just me or is this kernel version pretty boring?

Either Hardware support that is not released and buyable, or pretty much useless Wii U, the FS Patches are better than nothing but also not very exciting. Some Risc Stuff that nobody has at home, currently, too.
              Yeah, on the surface, there is not much new features but underneath, I see a lot of cool optimizations.

Of interest to me.
              Those super nice TCP stack optimizations that Michael did report back some time ago
              io_uring optimizations.

More particularly, as a io_uring user myself, the new IOSQE_CQE_SKIP_SUCCESS flag instructing the kernel to not send back a completion for a given request if successful. For many requests, the user code has nothing to do with a success report so it is a total waste of resources.

I am eagerly waiting 5.17 to be released to see if it will make a noticeable difference with my application...

Comment

Working...
              X