Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Improves Breeze-GTK App Experience, Discover Warns Users Of Proprietary Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Improves Breeze-GTK App Experience, Discover Warns Users Of Proprietary Software

Phoronix: KDE Improves Breeze-GTK App Experience, Discover Warns Users Of Proprietary Software

Even amid the ongoing war, KDE developers remain quite productive and continuing to push ahead for furthering this open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope something is eventually done about XWayland/Steam looking like blurry ass. I've played around with GDK_SCALE and GDK_DPI_SCALE but I just cannot get Steam to dial into my window size. It looks best when Steam is so large it doesn't fit inside my desktop.

What sucks is that I've tried out the Steam Deck UI and it looks terrific on Wayland. While not technically a fix, Valve releasing that would null my biggest, possibly only, XWayland offender.

For whatever reason my gaming has been a lot better on Wayland recently.

Comment

In Dolphin you can't search all files of a directory using wildcard with the Dolphin' search bar, imagine the following user case, your home folder is rogued by logfile deep inside the directory hierarchy, Dolphin won't help you with this case, you can't search for all ffiles and then ordering them by size. If your home partition space is zeroed KDE Plasma implodes, btrfs too.

Comment

Blurry Donkey :P
        Last edited by mr_marmalade; 19 March 2022, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          I hope something is eventually done about XWayland/Steam looking like blurry ass. I've played around with GDK_SCALE and GDK_DPI_SCALE but I just cannot get Steam to dial into my window size. It looks best when Steam is so large it doesn't fit inside my desktop.
          Somewhere I read that https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/...e_requests/733 needs to land for this to be fixed. I find this very annoying as well.
          I wonder what Gnome does different in this scenario, since I can't remember Steam being blurry there.

Comment

"The risks of installing proprietary software"? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              "The risks of installing proprietary software"? Really?
              Yeah, that warning reminds me of the irrational fear that some open source zealots propagate, that every piece of proprietary software is potential spyware. Personally, I strongly disagree woth this way of thinking, because it's a gross generalization. For example, the web browser Vivaldi is proprietary, but it's actually one of the best privacy respecting browsers.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Yeah, that warning reminds me of the irrational fear that some open source zealots propagate, that every piece of proprietary software is potential spyware. Personally, I strongly disagree woth this way of thinking, because it's a gross generalization. For example, the web browser Vivaldi is proprietary, but it's actually one of the best privacy respecting browsers.
                This is the rule of limited trust unlike what proprietary zealots claim. Vivaldi may care about your privacy, but it won't be ever used as a TOR browser for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

What sucks is that I've tried out the Steam Deck UI and it looks terrific on Wayland. While not technically a fix, Valve releasing that would null my biggest, possibly only, XWayland offender.

For whatever reason my gaming has been a lot better on Wayland recently.
                  Havent tried KDE since a longer time but I have not experienced any of your issues with wayland and gnome (cosmic). A few years ago I have seen similiar issues with arbitrary software under pop but I could pin it down to their hdpi scaling deamon. But that has been resolved since a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Well the point is: Qui bono? - If it is proprietary but for free how is the company making money?
                    Google, Facebook and nowadays Microsoft(Windows 10+) are teaching us leasons. Its not free - you pay with your Data.

But yeah not every proprietary software is spyware but the most "free" proprietary software solutions are.
                    Last edited by CochainComplex; 20 March 2022, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X