Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Open Firmware 2.1-rc1 Released

Phoronix: Sound Open Firmware 2.1-rc1 Released

The Intel-led Sound Open Firmware project for providing open-source firmware for newer Intel audio hardware and even support for some AMD audio hardware is nearing its v2.1 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why so much firmware just to output sound?

I mean, there is at least some post-processing like 44.1KHz PCM -> 3MHz PDM and volume control, but come on....
    That doesn't require so much firmware, unless I am missing something.

Comment

Well depends on what you want to do with the hardware. Mixing various audio streams, receiving the data directly via DMA, extended filtering, e.g frequency based filters, supporting Micro sound cancellation, doing 3D sound (including geometry based echo effects, and sound run time calculations). Well, there is quite a lot, that you can do with current sound processors. Some of them have a multitude of the processing power, that my first computers had.

Comment

That's a valid question actually.

My understanding is that some integrated SoCs are very modular and can be rewired on the fly with multiple DSP blocks, but that power requires a lot of setting up from the drivers before any sound can be output, including loading a firmware module which SOF provides. Additionally, there's an insane number of quirks and tweaks that are chipset/SoC-dependant, there are multiple competing vendors who intervene at least in part in the audio stack (e.g. the HDMI stack might, or might not be from a different vendor as the regular audio stack); all that does add up quickly in terms of LoC.

That's just for outputting sound, but SOF also provides a couple of other nice things, like a ring buffer so that userspace has the ability to communicate with the hardware inspect what's happening in the firmware.

Comment

Is anyone else thinking that the adjective should be first? i.e. open sound firmware?
          Sounds to me like someone was suggesting the firmware was "good". maybe its intentional an its supposed to be "sound, open firmware"

Who is the coolest guy in hospital? - The ultra sound guy.
          Who is when he is on holiday? The hip replacement guy.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I mean, there is at least some post-processing like 44.1KHz PCM -> 3MHz PDM and volume control, but come on....
            That doesn't require so much firmware, unless I am missing something.
            as Volker Schmidt mentioned its way more. For instance just take the Datasheet of an ordinary DAC and have a look how much modes can be set and further more like filters, oversampling etc.

e.g. rather new and well respected DAC ES9028 https://www.esstech.com/wp-content/u...heet_v0.41.pdf

Comment

Working...
            X