Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows vs. Linux Benchmarks For AMD Ryzen Server Performance

Phoronix: Windows vs. Linux Benchmarks For AMD Ryzen Server Performance

As a follow-up to last week's article looking at how AMD is making an interesting case for budget-friendly Ryzen dedicated servers and not only in Europe but throughout the world more hosting providers are offering cost-conscious AMD Ryzen powered dedicated server options, here is a look at how various Linux distributions run on an ASRock Rack based AMD Ryzen server up against Microsoft Windows.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Page 5 2nd paragraph, formatting error.

Comment

How can one benchmark server performance with no server type benchmarks (webserver performance, database performance, etc)
      it's mostly useless benchmarks

Comment

Originally posted by wooque View Post
        How can one benchmark server performance with no server type benchmarks (webserver performance, database performance, etc)
        Yup, pretty much 100% correct! Also need to point out that in pretty much no way is Windows 10/11 Pro a "server os". If your going to do a "server os" benchmark against windows you have to use one of the Windows Server editions, they are tuned much more to compete with Linux.

What I would love to see is a server benchmark with web servers (apache, ngix) and v-host comparison. For example how does qemu/kvm, xen, stack up against hyper-v?

Comment

Why does Ubuntu 22.04 has an overall worse performance than Ubuntu 20.04? Is it because Michael used a dev build?

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

Yup, pretty much 100% correct! Also need to point out that in pretty much no way is Windows 10/11 Pro a "server os". If your going to do a "server os" benchmark against windows you have to use one of the Windows Server editions, they are tuned much more to compete with Linux.

What I would love to see is a server benchmark with web servers (apache, ngix) and v-host comparison. For example how does qemu/kvm, xen, stack up against hyper-v?
            Michael isn't wrong about low end servers using Windows Pro (or even Home) instead of Server for server-like tasks because of licensing costs. Now, most people doing this aren't the types that know how to tune Windows to begin with, but it is possible to flip a few 'switches' and have Windows desktop SKUs perform somewhat better for non-interactive/background tasks rather than foreground desktop oriented tasks. It's still not Windows Server, but somewhat better than leaving it set to interactive for long lived non-interactive tasks. I'm really not sure what these benchmarks are trying to show. If you need Windows you're going to use Windows even if it's dog slow because that's what the software runs on. If you can and want to use Linux then that's what people will use.

I guess some enthusiasts would try Hyper-V, but almost no one doing this kind of thing (small businesses) even knows what virtualization is or that Hyper-V exists.

Comment

Wow, Ubuntu 22.04 is really slow!
              I wonder if this somehow related to the lots of Snap crap that it has been bundled in.
              Imagine that this is also an LTS release.

Comment

Originally posted by wooque View Post
                Focusing more on creator-type workloads that use dedicated budget servers for render boxes or similar tasks.... Is there any masses of people I am unaware of still opting to run Windows for an Apache/Nginx and MySQL/MariaDB server these recent years? Especially for the budget aim where it eats into the monthly cost...
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

Do you see any dedicated server hosts offering Windows Server on Ryzen servers? The ones I saw only listed Windws 10/11 or Linux. I think the Windows Server licensing cost would really turn down the value proposition for such low cost servers.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I would like to respectfully protest the lack of Debian in this comparison

Comment

Working...
                    X