Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Early Look At The Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Performance On AMD Ryzen 9 5950X + RX 6800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Early Look At The Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Performance On AMD Ryzen 9 5950X + RX 6800

Phoronix: An Early Look At The Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Performance On AMD Ryzen 9 5950X + RX 6800

With Ubuntu 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" less than one month out from release, I have begun testing it on more desktop and server platforms ahead of release. Ubuntu 22.04 LTS overall is in nice shape. On current generation platforms I am not seeing much uplift compared to Ubuntu 21.10 but for those still making use of the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS series with its older compiler and other older packages, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is providing some uplift. Here is a look at Ubuntu 20.04.4 vs. 21.10 vs. 22.04 daily on an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X desktop.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awful!
    Worse performance than Ubuntu 21.10
    But somewhat expected as it doesn't come with up to date core components like the Linux kernel, two releases old, WTF?
    Such a shame since 5.16 and 5.17 had tons of improvements everywhere.
    Not only that, but now they are also trying to forcefully push their piece of shit garbage called Snap.
    How the fuck they are even trying to say this is a good technology when they need to force people to use it?
    Anyway, good that other distros are having real development and improvements from year to year.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Awful!
      Worse performance than Ubuntu 21.10
      But somewhat expected as it doesn't come with up to date core components like the Linux kernel, two releases old, WTF?
      Such a shame since 5.16 and 5.17 had tons of improvements everywhere.
      Not only that, but now they are also trying to forcefully push their piece of shit garbage called Snap.
      How the fuck they are even trying to say this is a good technology when they need to force people to use it?
      Anyway, good that other distros are having real development and improvements from year to year.
      LTS Ubuntu tends to come with LTS kernels

I think you have a point on snaps. jo-erlend wouldn't you agree?
      ssokolow

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

LTS Ubuntu tends to come with LTS kernels

I think you have a point on snaps. jo-erlend wouldn't you agree?
        ssokolow
        That's their lame excuse for being cheap, cutting corners on their support work.
        Just like Hollywood is still using the 24 FPS standard feeding people the lame excuse of the movie experience instead of admitting that they want to be as cheap as possible to make big profits.

Canonical could've just allowed newer kernel version to be pushed through updates so they didn't need to just patch the same old kernel all the time if they were using an non LTS kernel.

It's not like you can't just reboot into previous kernel in case of problems.

Comment

I just went back and installed Ubuntu 16.04.7 LTS on my i7-2600K and Unity7, HUD, global menus, fonts, and compiz are so comfy. I'm on GTX 680 so reclocking works out of the box on 4.15 kernel with "echo 0f > /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/pstate" and everything feels fluid and snappy thanks to compiz.

Comment

After disabling Snaps, installing 5.17 kernel and setting mitigations=off in grub, my system had a major speed boost and felt a lot smoother.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              That's their lame excuse for being cheap, cutting corners on their support work.
              Just like Hollywood is still using the 24 FPS standard feeding people the lame excuse of the movie experience instead of admitting that they want to be as cheap as possible to make big profits.
              24 FPS has nothing to do with profits (that's what Hollywood-accounting is for) and yes, that movie experience you dismiss is genuinely legit.

60 FPS breaks immersion and the suspension of disbelief, thus equalling watching the equivalent of a sports-event rather than a gripping work of art.

Comment

Originally posted by tenplus1 View Post
                After disabling Snaps, installing 5.17 kernel and setting mitigations=off in grub, my system had a major speed boost and felt a lot smoother.
                Now if you also were to add preempt=full besides that mitigations=off in GRUB, your system would feel even more smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                  24 FPS has nothing to do with profits (that's what Hollywood-accounting is for) and yes, that movie experience you dismiss is genuinely legit.
                  Sure it does, in analog film days the film stock was very expensive and to triple that meant massive cost increase in production. Obviously in the digital realm that ain't a problem but today you have many computer effects that would need more time to render.
                  And you need all the equipment to film and process, that is much more expensive. You also run into physical limits because more fps means less light per frame and therefore more noise from the sensor.
                  60 FPS breaks immersion and the suspension of disbelief, thus equalling watching the equivalent of a sports-event rather than a gripping work of art.
                  That sounds like total bullshit, do you have any sientific explanation for that? You know we already had some 48 FPS movies and the only visual effects were smoother pans.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Gripping work of art and Hollywood? Good joke!

As for snaps Firefox was unstable mess in Ubuntu 21.10.

Comment

Working...
                    X