Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Launches The GeForce RTX 3090 Ti For $1999+ USD

Phoronix: NVIDIA Launches The GeForce RTX 3090 Ti For $1999+ USD

As expected and following months of rumors and leaks, NVIDIA today formally unveiled the GeForce RTX 3090 Ti as their newest flagship graphics card...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Heh, I was just going to comment on people paying these exorbitant prices...but then I realized that I just payed over 2K for an aftermarket automobile ECU, in my case it's a one-time buy that will last the life of the vehicle., which will in turn probably last until I'm too old to drive. I still find it hard to believe people that aren't using these in a productive way, i.e. using them for business to make money, can rationalize the cost.
    Last edited by cbxbiker61; 29 March 2022, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxbiker61 View Post
      Heh, I was just going to comment on people paying these exorbitant prices...but then I realized that I just payed over 2K for an aftermarket automobile ECU, in my case it's a one-time buy that will last the life of the vehicle., which will in turn probably last until I'm too old to drive. I still find it hard to believe people that aren't using these in a productive way, i.e. using them for business to make money, can rationalize the cost.
      In the same vein you could deny people access to luxury cars, yachts, etc. etc. etc. just because "they make no sense", "they are too expensive", etc. Again, some people will absolutely want to buy such products and those people allow companies to pay for R&D which ultimately benefits the rest of us.

There's no need to be "righteous" about this, you aren't.

Comment

How exactly is an aftermarket ECU productive? If anything you'll almost definitely spend more $ using it than just staying stock and using your vehicle to get from A to B... so it is by definition a luxury purchase exactly the same as any gamer PC.. people get their thrills in different ways.

Comment

If combinded with a core i9 12900KS it can replace my heater. Neither power nor cost efficient, but we are almost there :-(

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            In the same vein you could deny people access to luxury cars, yachts, etc. etc. etc. just because "they make no sense", "they are too expensive", etc.
            That depends on your definition of luxury. There's 2 categories when it comes to luxury vehicles:
            1. The ones that use high-quality materials, hand-built parts, and prioritize comfort. These tend to retain value many years later, because they are intrinsically worth more. They're styled in a certain way that make them look appealing regardless of age, inside and out.
            2. Cutting-edge and high-performance. These tend to lose value very rapidly because the technology these cars implement either quickly becomes obsoleted or trickles down to economy models. Their performance also eventually becomes mediocre, and they're too expensive to maintain. These cars also tend to push styling trends, so they date themselves very easily.

When it comes to computers, parts fall under category 2. The only thing that makes a 3090 Ti valuable is the fact the die is so huge and that it currently tops almost every chart. But, the 3080 Ti has the same size die with 5% fewer cores yet is 44% cheaper (at MSRP). Ultra high-end hardware like this often has poor resale value because they're usually the most inefficient of their generation, and by the time they can't keep up with modern software, they lack features that newer software demands. A Mercedes S-class from 2012 might lose roughly the same proportionate value as a GTX 690 but good luck finding a modern title that the GPU can play to its full potential; the car will remain road legal.
            Again, some people will absolutely want to buy such products and those people allow companies to pay for R&D which ultimately benefits the rest of us.
            Get real. Nvidia doesn't need to release a 3090 Ti to help pay for R&D. It might be a more profitable product for them but they're not making enough of them to make any significant dent in their revenue. Their server models is where all the funding comes from. If anything, this product shows that Nvidia has run out of ideas on how to squeeze in more performance and lowers confidence in consumers.

Comment

Me looking at those prices:

55cff2a7030b9de71f649cea68ec413e768a920c.jpg

Comment

Can't wait for Intel to come in and flood the market with mid-tier GPUs and hopefully force AMD and NVidia to lower their prices. Can you imagine, two GPU makers with open-sourced drivers I really hope future Intel dGPUs really outperform the competition and have good encoding/decoding capabilities

Comment

I still find it hard to believe people that aren't using these in a productive way, i.e. using them for business to make money, can rationalize the cost.
                  I'm sure some people feel the same way about a $2000 yearly family vacation.
                  Don't expect much and seldom disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

In the same vein you could deny people access to luxury cars, yachts, etc. etc. etc. just because "they make no sense", "they are too expensive", etc. Again, some people will absolutely want to buy such products and those people allow companies to pay for R&D which ultimately benefits the rest of us.

There's no need to be "righteous" about this, you aren't.
                    this. in the same vein you have people that look at you who think what you spend money on is dumb. i think its dumb that people spend so much on clothing, waste money on figurines, makeup, buying dumb stuff to hang on their walls like dumb posters, etc. but each to their own. its your money in the end and you only have one life. live it how you want before you are a lost memory.

you want to waste your money getting drunk and sailing the seas knock your socks off bro.
                    Last edited by middy; 29 March 2022, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X