Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Linux 36 Beta Now Available For Testing

Phoronix: Fedora Linux 36 Beta Now Available For Testing

After a slight delay the Fedora 36 beta images are officially available today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm using Fedora 35 and already have most of those packages including KDE 5.24, that came with the latest updates. So, is there a reason to upgrade to 36? Also, if the older 35 is already on the latest packages including kernel 5.16.x, what is the significance of a new release in Fedora? I guess I'm stuck in the Ubuntu's 6 months release world where if you want new packages/kernels, you need to upgrade to the latest release.

Comment

Originally posted by Random_Jerk View Post
      I'm using Fedora 35 and already have most of those packages including KDE 5.24, that came with the latest updates. So, is there a reason to upgrade to 36? Also, if the older 35 is already on the latest packages including kernel 5.16.x, what is the significance of a new release in Fedora? I guess I'm stuck in the Ubuntu's 6 months release world where if you want new packages/kernels, you need to upgrade to the latest release.
      Right in the middle of the article: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/36/ChangeSet

Suit yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Random_Jerk View Post
        For Gnome users there are some significant changes, but sure, if your DE is already at the latest version, there's no pressing reason to update. F35 will only go end-of-life a month after F37 comes out, so you will still have some 7 months after the final release of F36 to decide when to update at your own pace. You could even skip one release and go from 35 -> 37, that's officially supported and Fedora upgrades are notably painless. That's one of the great things about Fedora, it's rock solid stable, giving you time to prepare for bigger, potentially breaking changes, but close enough to what you would expect from a rolling-release distro in terms of updated software. Kinda best of both worlds.

Fedora's project lead Matthew Miller talks a little about that on this recent interview (link at the time of this subject): https://youtu.be/kvVt3tqRVm4?t=927

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

You could even skip one release and go from 35 -> 37, that's officially supported and Fedora upgrades are notably painless. That's one of the great things about Fedora, it's rock solid stable, giving you time to prepare for bigger, potentially breaking changes, but close enough to what you would expect from a rolling-release distro in terms of updated software. Kinda best of both worlds.

Fedora's project lead Matthew Miller talks a little about that on this recent interview (link at the time of this subject): https://youtu.be/kvVt3tqRVm4?t=927
          Can confirm. I'm now running Fedora I first installed six years ago. I still have some packages installed back then (no updates for them, compiled them from SRC.RPMs).

Comment

I see the default font is changing per the "ChangeSet" page (link post #3.) Per the "DefaultToNotoFonts" page linked in the change set page, I see the default font is changing from DejaVu to Noto for any languages on DejaVu (sounds like English included, maybe anything that uses the Roman alphabet):

Just my opinion, but one aesthetic gripe I have had about Gnome is I found the fonts used by default not that pleasing. You do not have to agree, but my opinion. I am curious if this may improve that situation. That said, my Linux installs have become kind of minimalist these days, and right now have become more of a Sway on Wayland elitist. Have I mentioned may current Arch setup

Comment

I had been hoping for MESA 22 but no. I checked Koji and there is a FC37 built but no 36 so I guess it will make it to Fedora about a year after being forked. Fedora is really losing that leading edge vibe.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                I had been hoping for MESA 22 but no. I checked Koji and there is a FC37 built but no 36 so I guess it will make it to Fedora about a year after being forked. Fedora is really losing that leading edge vibe.
                I'm 99% sure Fedora 36 will include the latest Mesa release. Just wait.

Comment

I tried upgrading my Silverblue 35 to 36 and so far so good. There are some glitches in the UI that I'm sure will be fixed by the time of the stable release, but other than that it's very smooth. Compared to r35 it boots faster, GNOME is snappier and I don't know if it's just me, but file IO somehow feels faster too,

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                    Don't forget its a beta release not the final release. I am sure it will get the latest mesa whenever its ready to be shipped. Also you haven't checked koji enough. Here: https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/...askID=84500880

Just installed it on my Silverblue machine.

Screenshot from 2022-03-30 02-05-01.png

Comment

Working...
                    X