Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 7.6 Released With Updated Mono, More PE Conversion

Phoronix: Wine 7.6 Released With Updated Mono, More PE Conversion

Wine 7.6 is out as the latest bi-weekly development release of this open-source software for enjoying Windows games and applications on Linux and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

PE Conversion progress, https://gist.github.com/rmi1974/f554...2724d47a163fd2
    Seems like we're almost there.

Comment

this release fix sega rally launcher thanks to wine-mono 7.2.0

and in my case begin work cinematics in trials of cold steel

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
        this release fix sega rally launcher thanks to wine-mono 7.2.0

and in my case begin work cinematics in trials of cold steel

thats good news, ill have to try some of my games out then.

Comment

I tried to install Adobe Acrobat Reader earlier this year with Wine 7.x for some proprietary PDFs that don't work in a regular PDF viewer. I figured it would be easy, but turned out to be a PITA, and never got it stable. Eventually just created a virtual machine, installed an unlicensed Win10 in it and used that to fill in the PDF.

Comment

17 bugs fixed but almost half of them are fixes for regressions (like for Adobe Photoshop) introduced in March this year, and there are many more regressions left. Seems like a bad streak lately.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
              17 bugs fixed but almost half of them are fixes for regressions (like for Adobe Photoshop) introduced in March this year, and there are many more regressions left. Seems like a bad streak lately.
              Yeah, I've helped squash at least two recent major regressions in Wine 7.3. The codebase has been massively reworked recently - check Jacek Caban commits.

I've already built Wine 7.6 (I always compile it from sources) and everything works greats so far. It seems like applications now start a lot slower than before, no idea why, and to be honest I just don't want to git bisect it any longer. I'm not a CodeWeavers employee, trying to find out what had broken Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and CS 2 was already quite an ordeal.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                I've already built Wine 7.6 (I always compile it from sources) and everything works greats so far. It seems like applications now start a lot slower than before, no idea why, and to be honest I just don't want to git bisect it any longer. I'm not a CodeWeavers employee, trying to find out what had broken Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and CS 2 was already quite an ordeal.
                Since when did the slowdown start? I mean wine version, not exact commit.

Comment

and according this:

Conversion of Wine builtins to PE format #wine #mingw #llvm #gcc #pe #elf #commandlinefu - conversion_of_wine_builtins_to_pe_format.md

only left 8 builtin fake executables compared 16 in wine 7.3

mainline-install-7.6-x86_64/lib/wine/x86_64-windows/openal32.dll
                  mainline-install-7.6-x86_64/lib/wine/x86_64-windows/opengl32.dll
                  mainline-install-7.6-x86_64/lib/wine/x86_64-windows/wineusb.sys
                  mainline-install-7.6-x86_64/lib/wine/x86_64-windows/winex11.drv
                  mainline-install-7.6-x86_64/lib/wine/i386-windows/openal32.dll
                  mainline-install-7.6-x86_64/lib/wine/i386-windows/opengl32.dll
                  mainline-install-7.6-x86_64/lib/wine/i386-windows/wineusb.sys
                  mainline-install-7.6-x86_64/lib/wine/i386-windows/winex11.drv

Comment

I'm seeing a regression in Wine 7.5 (might have started in 7.3 or 7.4 - I was on 7.2 previously) where apps like foobar2000 don't render correctly when the DPI isn't set to 96 - would love to know it's not just me seeing this.

On a better note, the recent API sets work in 7.3+ means Adobe DNG Converter 14.x now works properly.

Comment

Working...
                    X