Reiser5 Issues New Development Release, Performance Numbers For Scaling Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiser5 Issues New Development Release, Performance Numbers For Scaling Out

Phoronix: Reiser5 Issues New Development Release, Performance Numbers For Scaling Out

While Reiser4 never made it to mainline and has lacked any major corporate backing while Linux 5.18 is deprecating the older ReiserFS driver for removal later on, former Namesys developer Edward Shishkin continues progressing development on "Reiser5" as the evolution of Reiser4. Out today is the newest Reiser5 snapshot and some performance numbers from Shishkin...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I said it before and I will said it again. Edward should rename it to ShishkinFS at this point. Not to avoid connotation with convicted murderer, but to put credit where it's due.

Comment

Partition my wife

Comment

Only two hours after the thread has been posted and we're already talking about Reiser's murder all over again.

Why can't we have a nice conversation about the file system?
        Last edited by tildearrow; 10 April 2022, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I still remember when i used ReiserFS it was a good filesystem but i don't think i would find use for ReiserFS now.

Comment

I still remember trying suse back then when I tried to use reiserfs, it let you install and then it couldn't boot because the kernel they installed didn't have reiserfs built in or something like that, I don't remember exactly what the issue was.
            Never tried it again.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Only two hours after the thread has been posted and we're already talking about Reiser's murder all over again.

Why can't we have a nice conversation about the file system? At this point "Reiser" is just bait to get people to talk about his murder and nothing else...
              I guess people are just waiting for the killer feature (!) that makes Reiser relevant.... Sorry could not help myself

But on the serious side I do agree with you. I wish people where discussing the filesystem features and why it would be worth looking into instead of just yapping about the murder over and over again. That being said stopping to mention the murder is not such a good thing either as that would essentially free him from the pillory. The better option would perhaps be to rename the filesystem which should have been done years ago to separate the technology from a blacklisted name...

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
                I said it before and I will said it again. Edward should rename it to ShishkinFS at this point. Not to avoid connotation with convicted murderer, but to put credit where it's due.
                Either that or IDidntKillMyWifeFS.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
                  Well, the connotation depends on how much we repeat it. It is a fairly obscure FS that most people hear for the first time, and there is no one to tell them of its connotations except us who know about it. Just let the association die

P.S- I read about it in wikipedia and blog comparing file system performance. Didn't know any history attached to it until reading the comments here some time back

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                    I still remember when i used ReiserFS it was a good filesystem but i don't think i would find use for ReiserFS now.
                    ReiserFS was great, if you had thousands of small files in a single directory. By small I mean less than 1000 bytes on average. ReiserFS was able to put several small files in single block.
                    Plus, it was super fault resilient on power failures. I never lost any data, and recovery on reboot was extremely fast.

Other filesystems have many great and advanced features, but ReiserFS excelled at those two. I would still gladly use it, if it was still available in mainstream Linux distros. For example, SUSE for several years supported reading of ResierFS partitions, but would not allow you to format one from YAST.

Comment

Working...
                    X