Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Prepares More Arc "Alchemist" Graphics Code For Linux 5.19 + ATS-M & Raptor Lake S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Prepares More Arc "Alchemist" Graphics Code For Linux 5.19 + ATS-M & Raptor Lake S

Phoronix: Intel Prepares More Arc "Alchemist" Graphics Code For Linux 5.19 + ATS-M & Raptor Lake S

Being a week out past the end of the Linux 5.18 merge window, today Intel sent out their first batch of "i915" DRM graphics driver updates to DRM-Next for queuing ahead of what will be the Linux 5.19 kernel this summer. There is a lot of code churn still happening around enabling Intel's discrete graphics hardware and other open-source driver happenings...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The support is clearly still settling down but hopefully will be in good shape by the time Intel Arc discrete graphics cards end up being generally available later this year.
    It is starting to look a lot like the discrete cards won't be available until early next year long after AMD and NVidia have released their next gen cards. That is really disappointing as it leaves NVidia as the only option if you are doing any thing other than gaming.

Comment

Intel 10nm Desktop CPUs:
      [o] 2015
      [o] 2016
      [o] 2017
      [o] 2018
      [o] 2019
      [o] 2020
      [x] 2021

Intel Xe discrete graphics
      [o] 2019
      [o] 2020
      [o] 2021
      [?] 2022

Comment

Will they have one with active cooling? Me want.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

It is starting to look a lot like the discrete cards won't be available until early next year long after AMD and NVidia have released their next gen cards. That is really disappointing as it leaves NVidia as the only option if you are doing any thing other than gaming.
          and for all the people calling me idiot/liar as i said intel will bundle their gpus with their CPUs

right now all ARC gpu released are bundled with their CPUs... there is zero ARC card without a bundle to intel cpus right now.
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

and for all the people calling me idiot/liar as i said intel will bundle their gpus with their CPUs

right now all ARC gpu released are bundled with their CPUs... there is zero ARC card without a bundle to intel cpus right now.
            ARC is only available in one laptop which is only available in South Korea and at over $2000 so that doesn't really tell us any thing. But I agree we still don't know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
              ARC is only available in one laptop which is only available in South Korea and at over $2000 so that doesn't really tell us any thing. But I agree we still don't know for sure.
              right now you can only buy a ARC GPU bundled with an intel CPU...
              this means we know it for sure... for now....

this maybe change in the future... but this is something we do not know.

but we know one thing for sure: the 64bit ram channel ARC with 150mm² chip die lose big agaist 100mm² radeon 6500... both are 6nm TSMC...

this means right now intel is a big loser.... sure the ARC chip maybe has AV1 decode and the 6500 not...

BUT the bigger ARC chip for example with 128bit ram channel will compete agaist radeon 6600 and 6600XT who in fact does have AV1 decode...

acording to the ARC vs radeon 6500 benchmarks we can be sure ARC will lose big agaist the 6600/6700/6800/6900...

this means even if you get a ARC gpu without intel cpu why should you buy it? there is no reason right now intel is "loser"

the AMD 7700 will have 6900 level performance with only 8gb vram and it will be """cheap"""

i have no hope that intel can compete here.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

As someone who said that to you, I'm still saying that louder than ever.

Right now the only thing you can do is buy a single really crappy laptop in Korea. That tells you absolutely nothing, other than that Intel is having massive problems launching this card.

I never expected these cards to come in AMD laptops, FWIW, because that just doesn't make much sense.

However, I will guarantee you that once the desktop cards launch you'll be able to buy them independently and put them into both AMD and Intel desktop systems. And you'll be able to take it out of one system and put it into another with no problems.

What do you want to bet on this? I'm so certain, I'll agree to absolutely anything. I'll delete my account if this doesn't happen. Agree to do the same if you're wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  As someone who said that to you, I'm still saying that louder than ever.
                  Right now the only thing you can do is buy a single really crappy laptop in Korea. That tells you absolutely nothing, other than that Intel is having massive problems launching this card.
                  I never expected these cards to come in AMD laptops, FWIW, because that just doesn't make much sense.
                  However, I will guarantee you that once the desktop cards launch you'll be able to buy them independently and put them into both AMD and Intel desktop systems. And you'll be able to take it out of one system and put it into another with no problems.
                  What do you want to bet on this? I'm so certain, I'll agree to absolutely anything. I'll delete my account if this doesn't happen. Agree to do the same if you're wrong?
                  the joke is: it is now clear that no one even want this ARC gpus... a 150mm² arc chip lose agaist an radeon 100mm² chip.--

in case of the radeon 6500 you can claim it has no AV1 support but as soon as intel release their 128bit ram channel card it compete agaist 6600 and 6600X who does have AV1 decode.

intel is not competive in the gpu space ... you can not sell a 150mm² chip cheaper than an 100mm² chip...

AMD can easily outperform intel and also AMD can easily outgun intel on performance per dollar and also amd can easily outgun intel at pure price.

soon we can buy 5nm radeon 7700XT 8gb vram with a performance of a 6900XT and this for less than 700€...

so even if you can put an intel ARC GPU into a AMD cpu desktop it makes no sense because AMD is faster and cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                  X