Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Releases Pop!_OS 22.04

Phoronix: System76 Releases Pop!_OS 22.04

System76 has released Pop!_OS 22.04 as the newest version of their Linux distribution downstream based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad it doesn't come with KDE Plasma or it has an edition with it!

Comment

Well! Now all unrecognized derivatives, unrecognized or illegitimate children will arrive in cascade.

Comment

nice after the latest releases I was not expecting it so fast

Comment

This is the first of the 17 Ubuntu unofficial derivatives, based on the Ubuntu-core LTS. Pop!_OS is an improvement, with its use of Flatpak included, instead of Snap. There are other modifications, perhaps also both being based on Wayland, like the Gnome version of Ubuntu.

Comment

I'll give it a go.

Was experimenting with 22.04 Server for a new headless box last week (days before official release...) and headless it behaves fairly normally, even with snap... although I didn't remotely begin to put it through its paces...

Now starts the wait for Mint Cinnamon, though. They're usually the most thorough in removing snap.

Comment

Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
              This is the first of the 17 Ubuntu unofficial derivatives, based on the Ubuntu-core LTS. Pop!_OS is an improvement, with its use of Flatpak included, instead of Snap. There are other modifications, perhaps also both being based on Wayland, like the Gnome version of Ubuntu.
              Pop Os is indeed IMHO the better Ubuntu

Comment

I would probably use Pop!_OS if it had a setting to make the UI more compact and terminal backgrounds blurred. EndeavourOS/Arch with KDE Plasma is what I use daily.

Comment

I am very excited to try this version of Pop. I have been using Pop for a couple of years now as the daily driver... first thing I do though is install KDE... I keep trying gnome on occasion but its never yet been a good experience.... last round Nautilus would explode the syselog if left open for a couple of days... it actually filled 100% of the drive at one point... I could not figure out why so back to KDE...

Comment

Well, tried Pop!OS. A program I use which opens lots of floating sub-windows (and doesn't have a "single window" mode like GIMP now does) always, regardless of focus, always puts the smallest window as half the screen and the main window of interest as one of the smallest as soon as I turn on tiling. Trying to change that makes primary window fill the desktop, with the others hidden behind. I'm doing something wrong, but I found the shortcut keys and half of them flat out don't appear to do anything. Virtualbox quirk...?

Comment

Working...
                    X