No announcement yet.

Better Support For The Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard II With Linux 5.19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Support For The Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard II With Linux 5.19

Phoronix: Better Support For The Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard II With Linux 5.19

The Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard II is a standalone keyboard that mimics the traditional ThinkPad notebook's keyboard that comes complete with an integrated TrackPoint. With the Linux 5.19 kernel will be better support for this standalone ThinkPad keyboard...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If only ThinkPad products would preserve their durability...
    Damn it Lenovo. You really think that "trends" (lightweight and cheap) are better than being hard and durable.

Comment

I have two of the keyboards in question (as I believed the first to be defective), but both have the same problem..

They "lock" up and don't send keypresses for around 30 seconds (or until the receiver has be re-plugged).

It happens on different computer at different locations too, so I don't think it is a interference issue...

Has anybody else the same problem?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Damn it Lenovo. You really think that "trends" (lightweight and cheap) are better than being hard and durable.
        I just find it really weird that no other brand has been created to take its place and its niche in the market.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          It didn't look cheap when I bought it.

Comment

I have a Thinkpad for some years now and really tried to use those trackpoint (the red "nipple) things. While they are surprisingly precise, my thumb got a little sore pressing the button using the side of my thumb.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I just find it really weird that no other brand has been created to take its place and its niche in the market.
              Durable hardware doesn't get changed as often, which results in a less constant stream of sales. When De Moore's law was prevalent that wasn't a problem because advances in hardware by themselves made them sell new computers to the masses. Now we face planned obsolescence and the saddest part is that no hardware provider in the modern world is economically sustainable unless it engages in such practices. You can't simply sell a lot once and wait 5+ years until people feel compelled to buy new devices.

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              I have a Thinkpad for some years now and really tried to use those trackpoint (the red "nipple) things. While they are surprisingly precise, my thumb got a little sore pressing the button using the side of my thumb.
              AFAIK you're supposed to use your index finger. If you type a lot your index fingers will be near the f and j most of the time, so it's only a short movement away from the clit.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
                AFAIK you're supposed to use your index finger. If you type a lot your index fingers will be near the f and j most of the time, so it's only a short movement away from the clit.
                I use the index finger for the nipple and the thumb for the buttons. And no, I will not use two hands to navigate.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I use the index finger for the nipple and the thumb for the buttons. And no, I will not use two hands to navigate.
                  Ohhhhhh I forgot about the button :facepalm:
                  Yep, you use your thumb for that. The idea is to not use two hands indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

It didn't look cheap when I bought it.
                    Yeah. They all still have pretty high quality builds using magnesium and carbon fiber structural frames. Just because it is lighter doesn't mean it's not durable.

Comment

Working...
                    X