Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4770 On Linux

Phoronix: AMD/ATI Radeon HD 4770 On Linux

To those of you interested in AMD's new graphics card, the ATI Radeon HD 4770, it does work with Linux. Right now you can run this first 40nm GPU using Catalyst 9.4, but you will see an "unsupported hardware" logo in the lower right hand corner...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Waiting eagerly for the review

Comment

Ah, upgrading to 9.2 was a nightmare, and now I have to upgrade again to 9.4 and then to 9.5 as soon as it enters the portage tree. I see I have a lot of work before I can enjoy my new 4770.

Comment

Michael, if you're able to, can you tell us whether the low-res textures in Quake 4 are fixed in 9.5? I set all my details to max (using Catalyst 9.4), but there is clearly low res textures in use. Looks worse than on my 7900GT. I suspect this is due to the "unsupported hardware" thing, that Cat 9.4 doesn't know entirely how to use the 4770, so is running in a "bare minimum" kind of mode. (Compiz alpha blur doesn't work either)

Comment

Where did you get the beta?

Michael, did you get catalyst 9.5 beta? Is it available to anyone? I'd like to give it a shot, I've been missing hardware acceleration since the kubuntu 9.04 release! :-(

Comment

It would be great if Cat 9.5 beta could be shared .. but yeah, I've seen May 13 as a release date, which is only like 4 days away. Not too long now.

Comment

Yay I am very excited waiting for this review

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
                (Compiz alpha blur doesn't work either)
                Compiz alpha blur doesn't work at all with fglrx
                Hasn't been working for roughly a year now.

Comment

Aww no alpha blur?! Man, AMD what are you doing? That's a very nice (and useful) feature! Transparent gnome-terminals never looked so good .. and blurring transparent window decorations with emerald, nice

... must catch nvidia ...

Comment

Working...
                  X