New Thermal Library & Temperature Capture Tool Readied For Linux 5.19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Thermal Library & Temperature Capture Tool Readied For Linux 5.19

Phoronix: New Thermal Library & Temperature Capture Tool Readied For Linux 5.19

Adding to the growing list of changes expected for introduction in Linux 5.19 is the thermal subsystem adding a new thermal library, daemon, and "theromometer" temperature capture tool to the kernel's source tree...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Joke's on them, netlink is one of the first things I disable in kernel configs...

Comment

First paragraph:
      "theromometer"

Second paragraph:
      "Netlink notifications amd all the work combined"

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
        Joke's on them, netlink is one of the first things I disable in kernel configs...
        could you elaborate on why?

and could someone elaborate on why use that for the new feature? what's netlink for exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by marlock View Post
          could you elaborate on why?

and could someone elaborate on why use that for the new feature? what's netlink for exactly?
          mostly bloat reasons. netlink does the same thing as unix sockets (ipc)... but there's all kinds of stuff in the kernel that claims to need it, like iptables, but it works just fine without it.

Comment

i was expecting something in the lines of security hardening, given the name... is IPC remotely accessible without netlink? it might not make sense on a user PC but be totally required for a server farm to have remote access to info like temps (if netlink even does what it sounds like it does)

Comment

Working...
            X