CUPS 2.4.2 Released With OpenSSL/LibreSSL Support Restored, AIX Revived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUPS 2.4.2 Released With OpenSSL/LibreSSL Support Restored, AIX Revived

Phoronix: CUPS 2.4.2 Released With OpenSSL/LibreSSL Support Restored, AIX Revived

Since last year CUPS development shifted to the OpenPrinting project with Apple no longer pursuing feature development on this long-time open-source Unix print server. That led to the release then of CUPS 2.4 and work on this open-source print server has revived. Out today is CUPS 2.4.2 with a few new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So what is standard? CUPS, PAPPL or something?

Comment

Unless I am mistaken, PAPPL is a framework for writing cups applications.
      Maybe so you don't use libcups directly and to unify how things like gtk, qt, etc.. use libcups.

Comment

That printer looks grumpy. Par for the course.

Comment

Cross platform printer protocols confuse me. My first printer is connected via a ASUS router usb port and uses the line printer daemon protocol not a single issue in linux at all. My wifes windows pc would not be able to connect to the printer if it hasn't been used in a a while to the point where the router and the printer needed to be rebooted for windows to connect. So I recently bought a brother wireless network printer. The brother connected to my laptop and and kids laptop no issues using the ipps protocol , which seems to be the preferred method these days. Windows on the other hand doesn't to fully support ipps or at least manual ipps connections and uses some strange method to connect to the ipps. I am not sure what the preferred standard is these days but cross platform printing is kinda a mess. Android also seems to not know how to understand lpr printing. IPP everywhere is nice but in linux with my brother printer that driver didn't seem to produce as good as results as the actual brother cups driver. I am not sure why CUPS simply just works 100% of the time where as even mainstream operating systems such as windows or android do not know how to print 100% of the time.

Comment

Working...
          X