Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PulseAudio 16.0 Released With A Variety Of Improvements

Phoronix: PulseAudio 16.0 Released With A Variety Of Improvements

While PipeWire continues gaining traction for fulfilling the audio management roles long handled by PulseAudio, the PulseAudio project itself continues progressing and successfully evolving its mature code-base. Out this weekend is PulseAudio 16.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

> PulseAudio's pactl command can now dump information in JSON format

Better late than never, I guess. Had to write a parser for pactl's custom output format for a sink-switching utility I created six years ago or so. That was not particularly nice because of lots of weird text indentations...

Comment

Originally posted by archola View Post
      > PulseAudio's pactl command can now dump information in JSON format

Better late than never, I guess. Had to write a parser for pactl's custom output format for a sink-switching utility I created six years ago or so. That was not particularly nice because of lots of weird text indentations...
      I mean, could you not have used the Pulseaudio API? It's not that bad lol.

Comment

I wonder how long PulseAudio will be maintained, it's been replaced by default on my machines with PipeWire for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          I wonder how long PulseAudio will be maintained, it's been replaced by default on my machines with PipeWire for a while now.
          Obviously till no more applications need libpulse at compile time.

Comment

I mean, could you not have used the Pulseaudio API? It's not that bad lol.
            Not really a realistic option for bash scripts.

Comment

Both are still equally useful for normal users who don't have low latency requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post

Obviously till no more applications need libpulse at compile time.
                Are there any that aren't working with PipeWire Pulse left?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Both are still equally useful for normal users who don't have low latency requirements.
                  Please define normal users. There are issues with PulseAudio other than low latency.

Comment

Are there any that aren't working with PipeWire Pulse left?
                    No, but they all use the pulseaudio client library (libpulse). PipeWire pulse only replaces the server part of pulseaudio.

Comment

Working...
                    X